Need help finding/ recovering my Hard drive.

Reaction score
Long story short:
I was having the issue of not being able to boot past the grey screen on my mac book. I booted using the cd and tried to use disk utility. When doing so I accidentally clicked on my hard drive (see attached pic) and then clicked on repair disk. Once complete my hard drive is no longer listed only the start up cd.

How can I get my drive back on my computer or what do I need to do.

In the pic I clicked on the hard drive with #s, not the highlighted HD.

Any help is appreciated.
1ffc911441d338a65884.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You may have had the gray screen issues because the drive is crashing. Click on Verify Disk and tell us what that tells you.

Also… click on the drive (very top line), then the partition tab. What does that show? Post a pic if you can. The drive appears to be 57.3 GB in capacity judging from the title, yet your Mac HD partition shows less than half that.

OP
R
Reaction score
I no longer have the two drives listed on the screen. The photo was taken as an example off line from my other computer. My drive is/was bigger than whats listed, I think 250gb.

My issues is that I previously clicked on the top drive line item and clicked repair disk, not Repair disk permission. After doing so the two drive items are no longer listed to click on when using disk utility.

I'm not very computer savy so if there is any other information I can provide to try and help my situation, please let me know and I will do/get it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While the most probable thing (well over 90%) is that the drive has indeed died and you just need to get a new one, there does exist the possibility that the connection has come loose, the SATA has died on the system board and there is no way to know without testing.

Run the hardware test from your OS X disc.

OP
R
Reaction score
I just completed the hardware test. The test results stated: "no trouble found." How can I get my hard drive to show back on the disk utility screen, or even be recognized on my computer. I even tried to installer the OS software and it said to select a drive and my hard drive is not displayed there either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just completed the hardware test. The test results stated: "no trouble found." How can I get my hard drive to show back on the disk utility screen, or even be recognized on my computer. I even tried to installer the OS software and it said to select a drive and my hard drive is not displayed there either.

If Disk Utility can't see the drive, then the only thing you can do is try to re-seat the cable connected to the hard drive to be sure it's seated properly. If that doesn't fix it, then try a new drive. If the new drive is recognized, then the old one clearly was toasted.

EDIT: you can also try more advanced disk utilities like Disk Warrior to see if they can do anything with the drive, though that's more about recovering what you can off the drive at this point, not putting the drive back to use. If it is toasted, that is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.