Some sites say browser needs to be upgraded, but it already is

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Before reinstalling the system or restoring a backup, I would first try downloading and applying the 10.6.8 Update Combo to see if this resolves the problem. As for MacCleanse, I doubt it could have caused this. Do you have any "security" software installed, like MacKeeper or any Symantec (Norton) software? I'm also rethinking the possibility that you have a trojan like MacDefender, but I don't know enough about it to say if this would be a symptom. I'm at work now so can't be of much help for a bit, but wanted to throw this out for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As ^^^^ lifeisabeach mentioned dl the Combo Update, and then RepairPermissions via Disk Utility

Open DU select yourHD in the left column and make sure the First Aid tab is clicked. Then hit the repair permissions. Sit back have a coffee then once its done (disregard all the errors) log out then back in. See what happens . . . Cant hurt either

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I agree with the others on this.

Restoring your system should be a last resort. Especially if it is an untested backup and/or restore system!

Regards,

Pat

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Go here with one of the browsers that is causing an issue and report back with the results. Report back the following: the user agent string (the value in the textbox) and the version of the browser that it recognizes. Please also provide the exact version number of the browser that you are using. I just want to see if your browser is identifying itself properly.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yikes--I ran the update and I'm running DU now--looks like a lot of repairs. I also put my browser in the link above, and got this message:

MozillaProductSlice. Claims to be a Mozilla based user agent, which is only true for Gecko browsers like Firefox and Netscape. For all other user agents it means 'Mozilla-compatible'. In modern browsers, this is only used for historical reasons. It has no real meaning anymore

OP
K
Reaction score
I also tried Google chrome with the same link and it said the same thing. The anti-virus software I have is Virus Barrier.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Sorry, I need the part under "User Agent String explained." I also need the version number of the browser you're using.

Disable VB and try to reload the page.

OP
K
Reaction score
Mozilla/5.0 (000000000; 00000 000 00 0 0000; 00000000) DDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDD

I'm using Firefox 5.0.1

I disabled VB and am running Mac Keeper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mozilla/5.0 (000000000; 00000 000 00 0 0000; 00000000) DDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDD

I'm using Firefox 5.0.1

I disabled VB and am running Mac Keeper

Aha! Get rid of both of those. MacKeeper in particular is nothing but trouble. I'd wager that it is the culprit.

http://www.fixkb.com/2011/03/remove-mackeeper.html

EDIT: a brief Google search actually shows that VirusBarrier is known to cause this. So definitely be rid of that. Still recommending removing MacKeeper. That software is held in very very very low regard here.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's your problem - that's not a valid user agent string (this identifies your browser). Some websites check to see what browser you're running and since that is a non-sensical one, it isn't recognized and the page therefore thinks you're running an unsupported browser.

Here's mine for instance:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8) AppleWebKit/535.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/14.0.821.0 Safari/535.1
You can see how yours is missing a lot of detail.

Virus Barrier has been noted as a cause of "zeroed" user agent strings.

OP
K
Reaction score
I thought you had mentioned it because you were suggesting it! It has already found an infected file in my Firefox cache. I can't copy the whole file name, but the description says: html/infected.webpage.gen

OP
K
Reaction score
OK my Mac friends--just ran DU again, and it says that this disk needs to be repaired. Start your computer with another disk (such as installation disk) then use disk utility to repair. How do I do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK my Mac friends--just ran DU again, and it says that this disk needs to be repaired. Start your computer with another disk (such as installation disk) then use disk utility to repair. How do I do this?

Mac OS X - Using Disk Utility to Repair a Disk

You seem to have a lot of issues with your system. Between the way the AV software is interfering with your browsers; the apps you mentioned that you removed but still are lurking; these new disk issues that need repairing… I'm really beginning to think you should just go ahead and reinstall OS X from scratch. It's very rare that I recommend it, but you have so much going on, and probably more that we don't know about given your use of MacCleanse and MacKeeper, that you may as well just start over. If you do…. avoid any AV software, "cleaning" software, and especially MacKeeper. Check with us before trying anything that is supposed to "maintain", "clean", or "secure" your system.

OP
K
Reaction score
You all have been really helpful. I looked at all the software I have, and I don't see an installation disk--does it come with all MacBooks?

When I finally find (or buy) the disk, do I then reload my files on the backup drive using Time Machine? Or are those corrupt also?

So from what I can conclude, if I ever think something's wrong, run the disk utility..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
You all have been really helpful. I looked at all the software I have, and I don't see an installation disk--does it come with all MacBooks?

When I finally find (or buy) the disk, do I then reload my files on the backup drive using Time Machine? Or are those corrupt also?

So from what I can conclude, if I ever think something's wrong, run the disk utility..

Did you buy the Mac new or used? If you bought it new you should have all the necessary disks that you need. If you bought it used you will probably have to buy a disk. I am not an expert buy any means on this type of thing so I would wait for direction on this. Your exact model number and OS version will be needed for others to help you.

It appears that you have a mess on your hands. It can be fixed though. Once you get the system reinstalled I would steer clear of antivirus things and most types of Mac Fixer software. Most is no good. I would search this forum and spend a lot of time here. It won't take long to learn what is good AND bad for your portable.

Good luck.

Regards,

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

All Macs come with an installation disk. Except MacBook Airs, I think.

It's hard to know what may or may not be messed up. However, I do think you should be fine migrating your user from the Time Machine backup. Here's a guide:
How-To: Upgrade To Snow Leopard — The Right Way | Cult of Mac

Go with the "Start from Scratch" option they present, but you can skip steps 1 and 2 if you are confident that your Time Machine backup has everything you want on it. If you aren't sure, then do step 2. Ignore step 1 entirely. When it's time to migrate your user, you can pick the Time Machine backup.

Easier than Disk Utility is Onyx. It has a more complete suite of maintenance and other tools that can help solve some issues. It's highly recommended by everyone here. And it's free! An alternative that I also use is TinkerTool System. It's not free, but not expensive. It duplicates a lot of what Onyx does, but it goes to great lengths to explain everything it does and take some precautions. It's the ONLY tool of this class that I recommend spending money on.

OP
K
Reaction score
I found out how to run in Safe Mode, and now the sites that were giving me problems are now working. Thoughts, my Mac geniuses?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found out how to run in Safe Mode, and now the sites that were giving me problems are now working. Thoughts, my Mac geniuses?

We've already determined that VirusBarrier was the problem. And furthermore recommended you reinstall OS X due to the various issues we know you have, and others that likely are still lurking. This advice is not going to change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1 Dual Quadcore 2.8GHz 12GB Snow Leopard / G4 PowerMac (AGP/Sawtooth), 1.4GHz 2GB Leopard
Re. the business of repairing your system drive: if you haven't got access to an OSX installation disk, you could download the freeware utility APPLEJACK from HERE and install it. When it's installed, you won't find it in "Applications". It's what's called a "shell script". This page has full isntructions on how to use its many features:

applejack user manual

However, don't panic: you don't have to remember all of that stuff! The easiest way to use it is to let it do all the work automatically.

Re-boot into single-user mode (hold down the option key and "s" key while the machine re-boots). Single-user mode is a command-line thing: your mouse won't work, you'll be using just the keyboard, typing in commands.

You will see a screen full of white text. Type "applejack AUTO restart" and hit the return key. Applejack will run a full diagnostic and repair routine on your system drive. When it's finished, it will boot up your machine normally. With a bit of luck, you'll have a healthy operating system!

OP
K
Reaction score
Last night, I deleted anything that had to do with viruses or cleaning. I must have not restarted again, but I just checked everything out again, and it's back to normal!! Thank you all for your help and advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.