iMac G5 probelms

Reaction score
So i bought an iMac G5 for parts at a garage sale. When i first got it, it wouldnt boot up at all. I did the pmu and smu reset and all that, and it appeared to work fine, but when i tried to install os x 10.5 it would always fail. It wont even install 10.4. I looked at the capacitors and they dont appear to be bulging, and are not leaking. Any other suggestions? I have tried multiple OS discs, they all fail.

Could it be a bad hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So i bought an iMac G5 for parts at a garage sale. When i first got it, it wouldnt boot up at all. I did the pmu and smu reset and all that, and it appeared to work fine, but when i tried to install os x 10.5 it would always fail. It wont even install 10.4. I looked at the capacitors and they dont appear to be bulging, and are not leaking. Any other suggestions? I have tried multiple OS discs, they all fail.

Could it be a bad hard drive?

Possibly. Are you able to boot from the install disk and run Disk Utility?
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

Also… are those install discs the gray OEM ones? If so, they are machine-specific and will only install to the exact model Mac they shipped with.

OP
T
Reaction score
I tried disk utility and repaired the disc and permissions on the hd. I am using a retail disc not an oem one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
lifeisabeach question was can you boot from the disc? Pop it in, reboot, hold down 'C' after the chime, go into Utilities and run Repair Disk from there. You cannot repair a drive you are booted from

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I tried disk utility and repaired the disc and permissions on the hd. I am using a retail disc not an oem one.

Ok. Try stress-testing that internal hard drive. Erase it using the 7-pass option under the Security settings. Once done, use the Verify Disk tool (not to be confused with Verify Disk Permissions) and see if that tells you anything.

EDIT: just to be clear… you do this while booted from the install disc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.