Strange mac osx color issue

Reaction score
I have an issue that is hard to describe. When I start up my iMac, some shades of light gray are missing. I am 100% sure this is a software issue because I actually had the same issue on my Mac Pro. I was excited to get a fresh start with my new iMac, but my husband surprised me by using time machine to put everything on my iMac when it was first delivered (gee, thanks honey, haha).

Anyway, I can't take a screenshot but if you go to the bbc homepage, BBC News - Home, you can see some light gray boxes (like the background color of the Watch/Listen box on the upper right). These look white until (it took me forever to figure this out) I start up World of Warcraft and put it in full screen. After starting WoW my color is magically fixed. I don't even play WoW these days, I just use it to fix my color. This has become a big annoyance for me, especially since I am a web designer and color is very important! I've tried recalibrating but I just can't seem to get the colors right. Is there a way to reset my colors?

Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have an issue that is hard to describe. When I start up my iMac, some shades of light gray are missing. I am 100% sure this is a software issue because I actually had the same issue on my Mac Pro. I was excited to get a fresh start with my new iMac, but my husband surprised me by using time machine to put everything on my iMac when it was first delivered (gee, thanks honey, haha).

Anyway, I can't take a screenshot but if you go to the bbc homepage, BBC News - Home, you can see some light gray boxes (like the background color of the Watch/Listen box on the upper right). These look white until (it took me forever to figure this out) I start up World of Warcraft and put it in full screen. After starting WoW my color is magically fixed. I don't even play WoW these days, I just use it to fix my color. This has become a big annoyance for me, especially since I am a web designer and color is very important! I've tried recalibrating but I just can't seem to get the colors right. Is there a way to reset my colors?

Thanks so much!

Go to:
System Preferences > Displays > Color

Delete any old/custom ones you have (some you cannot delete), then calibrate to your heart's content or use the default one if it suits you.

You may also want to try running the ColorSync Utility and Verify your color profiles, repair if need be.

C

chas_m

This sounds to me like someone's cranked up the contrast too high in the Displays area (or perhaps under Universal Access). Might want to check out that possibility.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the replies!

That was it Chas_M!! It was the Universal Access. My 2 year old probably cranked it up somehow :) I really appreciate the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.