Used iMac with out installation disk

Reaction score
I acquired a 21.5" iMac with Ver 10.5.8 software but with no additional disks. I want to be able to back up and have a startup disk similar to my Windows machine. I have never used a Mac before. How do I proceed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Go to auction sites such as eBay and look for a Leopard OS X.5 full retail install DVD. Make sure it is a black disc and not a silver/grey system disc which will work only with the model computer it came with. Expect to pay in the vicinity of $100, or even more.

Even better purchase Snow Leopard OS X.6 from the Apple store or online, install and update to OS X.6.8, and later this week purchase as a download the new release OS X.7. The model iMac you describe are 2009, 2010 or 2011 models and all are Intel. These will cost you $29 each, and the Snow Leopard disc will be a boot disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
The best thing to do would be to get snow leopard and then you can upgrade to lion if your machine is supported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is that an echo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Even better purchase Snow Leopard OS X.6 from the Apple store or online, install and update to OS X.6.8, and later this week purchase as a download the new release OS X.7. The model iMac you describe are 2009, 2010 or 2011 models and all are Intel. These will cost you $29 each, and the Snow Leopard disc will be a boot disc.
Just another echo here. :)

I would personally go with Harry's second suggestion I quoted above. Leopard discs can be hard to find or they are just too expensive. Leopard functions and looks close enough to Snow Leopard that you don't have to learn anything new. Jumping from Tiger to Snow Leopard would be a more drastic jump. I also much prefer Snow Leopard and you might feel the same. That's another reason to upgrade. ;)

OP
O
Reaction score
I went with installing Snow Leopard. I purchased the game Asphalt 6 for my Grandson. I added him as a restricted user but the game only shows up on the Administrators account.
How do I allow him to play the game?

C

chas_m

I'm not sure, but I doubt the game runs in Admin-only, so I can only guess that your restrictions are too restrictive. Make sure the game is in the Applications folder and no-where else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.