Upgrading to Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has plans to upgrade there Macs at there company?

I currently have several Macs running Leopard at work but they don't connect to the internet. Has anyone heard of a way I can upgrade these systems?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I don't have 20 Macs to upgrade though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're not going to be able to upgrade them from Leopard anyway. You must be running at least Snow Leopard 10.6.6 on those machine before you can upgrade them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And then they must all be Intel processors and your original post does not supply this vital information.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, the Mac have Intel chips. Having to 1st upgrade to Snow Leopard is not something that makes sense. Most companies are upgrading there Windows machines from XP to Win7. Microsoft is not making them 1st upgrade to Vista. There must be a way to do a clean install from Leopard to Lion. If not then we will most likely not upgrade. If Apple stops supporting Leopard then we can always put UNIX/Linux on the computers or heaven forbid Win7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Ok, the Mac have Intel chips. Having to 1st upgrade to Snow Leopard is not something that makes sense. Most companies are upgrading there Windows machines from XP to Win7. Microsoft is not making them 1st upgrade to Vista. There must be a way to do a clean install from Leopard to Lion. If not then we will most likely not upgrade. If Apple stops supporting Leopard then we can always put UNIX/Linux on the computers or heaven forbid Win7

That's the way it is this time. Lion requires Snow Leopard, which a majority of Mac users with Lion supported machine already are using SL so it's not a big deal for most.

If you want to be so extreme as to wipe OS X off your Macs and switch to Windows 7, more power to you, but that seems a bit dramatic since upgrading to SL and Lion is still less than half the price of Windows 7 upgrade license.

To be quite honest, a comment like that just says to me you don't like having to support Macs anyway.

OP
B
Reaction score
schweb,
I am a Solaris (UNIX) admin by trade. I really like Macs and most of the user of the Macs at work are UNIX /Linux people. I hope in the future Apple changes it's mind and allows upgrades without the use of the App store.

Changing form the Mac OS to UNIX/Linux is free. As for windows I can buy a copy of windows from Microsoft for just $10 for personal use though my company. Corporate discounts are nice.

I like the Mac and don't mind supporting them on the desktop. Plus most of the User are admins like me so it is really easy. Though we don't have any many that touch the Internet at this time. If SL was installed on the Mac the App Store is not an approved app for are systems at this time.

Sorry if I upset you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
schweb,
I hope in the future Apple changes it's mind and allows upgrades without the use of the App store.

I don't think that's gonna happen. They rarely look back on such decisions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
schweb,
I am a Solaris (UNIX) admin by trade. I really like Macs and most of the user of the Macs at work are UNIX /Linux people. I hope in the future Apple changes it's mind and allows upgrades without the use of the App store.

Changing form the Mac OS to UNIX/Linux is free. As for windows I can buy a copy of windows from Microsoft for just $10 for personal use though my company. Corporate discounts are nice.

I like the Mac and don't mind supporting them on the desktop. Plus most of the User are admins like me so it is really easy. Though we don't have any many that touch the Internet at this time. If SL was installed on the Mac the App Store is not an approved app for are systems at this time.

Sorry if I upset you.

Now I think you're just trolling since you didn't bother to apparently read either of the links provided to you about corporate installs.

Enjoy your linux...bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.