Macbook Pro 15 multiple cinema 27 displays

Reaction score
I have a client with a Macbook Pro 15, he already purchased 2 27" apple cinema displays thinking they would work.. In an ideal world he would like his 15" display and these 2 to run at the same time.. I've tred just about everything.. We even bought a triple head 2 go unit, but found out it isn't compatible with the 27's because the native resolution is too high.. I've asked this question before with no success, and literally tried 5 different usb video adaptors, matrox dual and triple, etc. I cannot figure out a way to get the second external monitor to fire on.. Even with a USB adaptor..

I'm trying one last time to see if anyone out there has any ideas.. Any upgrades we could look into, etc. is there even an upgrade slot on the 15, I don't think so I think it is an sd slot.. My 17" has one.. The client would like to keep the laptop as he likes the size, portability, etc. But yet when in the office wants the big screens..

I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is but I wanted to try one last time.. And yes I know he could buy a Mac pro.. trying to see if we can get it to work with what he has..

Thanks in advance for any ideas..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The native resolution is too high, but those monitors will accept 1920x1080 which is not too high for the dual or triplehead2go. Their max is at 1920x1200. Should be able to get 3840x1080 on them.

Don't think you're going to find any external video card that supports the native 2560x1440 of that display.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'd be thrilled with anything at this point.. The issue when I called matrox support was since the their native resolution was the 2560 the matrox devices would not work.. They said you could not force it to anything lower than it's native.. The only solution for those matrox devices was to use the 20 or 24" monitors.. I recommended Matrox add that little tidbit of info to their site so the next guy doesn't have the same issues..

I've tried the usb devices with dv adaptors, at every resolution option there was and could not even get either monitor to turn on.. as soon as I plug it into the mini dv port it comes right on like it should..

very frustrating..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've not tried it, I'm just going by the specs of the cinema displays which say they'll support resolutions of 1920x1080 and 1280x720. They were designed to be able to connect a B-R, etc. device to them and use them as HD monitors.

I'd think it would work, but it's always possible Matrox has "really" tried it and it doesn't work vs. covering their rear not to have an angry customer after the fact.

It could have to do with the refresh rate also - the Matrox only supports 50Hz when running them at 3840x1080 and I'm not sure what the cinema displays require.

Reaction score
woah, thought you had 15 27 inch cinema displays :$

anyway, i have 2 standard lenovo/IBM ThinkVision screens. I want to have a tri display with my Macbook 4.1, I already have the dongle to connect it to one of the screens, what do I need to connect it to both to have a tri display?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.