Macbook wont charge unless battery is removed and put back in...help!!

Reaction score
Hi, as the name says my macbook wont charge unless i shut it down and just take out the battery and re insert it and then it charges straight away, i have recently changed the charger from the t style charger to the L style but i was having problems with the charge before but i just put it down to the charger. The new charger did charge the macbook no problems for a couple of days and then suddenly it wont charge until its shutdown, ive tried resetting everything and still nothing.

Thanks in advance

Ad

Reaction score
Hey, i have the same problem. I see you posted this a while ago, did you ever figure out what the problem was?

OP
M
Reaction score
Nope never got an answer off multiple places so still doing the same thing every night!

OP
M
Reaction score
i've given that another go but i have tried that before and i had no luck with it then but i will monitor it and see if the problem is fixed by trying to charge it again after its been off charge for a bit.

Cheers

Reaction score
so there's totally a firmware update that made it so the old macbooks could charge with new chargers (which is when this problem started happening for me) and it's been working so far. Haven't had to take out the battery once, I can plug it in while my computer is on and it charges. You should check and see if that update shows up when you search for updates, it might work.

Reaction score
Interesting....my late 2008 MBP was having the same problems and was at the Apple Store for a week (thank you Applecare). The techs replaced my faceplate with new power button and gave me a modern charger. I came home, kicked back on the couch...and the same thing happened again, including my keyboard lights not working. I needed to pull my battery out to get the darn thing to charge as well. I guess I am not supposed to move anywhere. Oh well, another AS appointment is scheduled for next week.

OP
M
Reaction score
so my issue got fixed by the firmware being updated, for some reason when i went to the software update bit on my mac it came up as my firmware was up to date so i manually had to find the right firmware and update it and this now seems to be working fine, well as of yet anyway, can't believe it would be something so stupid that would fix it, cheers janica

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.