• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple patent may signal new iBooks abilities, more

Reaction score
Apple patent may signal new iBooks abilities, more

Apple-patent-iBooks-sm.jpg
Imagine a phrasebook on an iPhone where touching a word brings up the same word in a user's native language, or a children's book where touching a character name shows a picture or video of that character. Apple has submitted a patent that would let apps have this ability backed right into the OS and much more, according to a report from Patently Apple. The idea, if patented, could also have commercial implications....

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
This sounds awesome!! I think this will definitely help with children that are learning to read as it will help them with the visualization of what a particular word is.

Reaction score
This is Apple's way of education...much like the Mac was a choice (and still is) for school computer labs across the country. I like the idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I think supplemental learning tools can be useful sometimes. I just hope people find a balance when using tools like this. It's a great idea - don't get me wrong - I just see the dangers in too much tech too soon. Is it any wonder everyone's attention spans are getting short... ooh, what's that shiny thing over there?! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
. . . .I just hope people find a balance when using tools like this. It's a great idea - don't get me wrong - I just see the dangers in too much tech too soon. Is it any wonder everyone's attention spans are getting short... ooh, what's that shiny thing over there?! ;)

I do agree with this, but have to be realistic as well with the way the world is going with technology, in the next generation they will be a younger child than today that has the access to this sort of thing.

I really think there needs to be things put in lace NOW within the education system to stem the advance of technology in the pre schools and Kindergartens ?? What im tyring to say is Old School teaching worked/is working why change it ?? How young is too young ??
Ill probably get burnt for saying this though lol

Then again anything that helps a child learn is a good thing. Will it aide in a child's learning ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I do agree with this, but have to be realistic as well with the way the world is going with technology, in the next generation they will be a younger child than today that has the access to this sort of thing.

I really think there needs to be things put in lace NOW within the education system to stem the advance of technology in the pre schools and Kindergartens ?? What im tyring to say is Old School teaching worked/is working why change it ?? How young is too young ??
Ill probably get burnt for saying this though lol

Then again anything that helps a child learn is a good thing. Will it aide in a child's learning ??

Yes, there has to be a balance. That is the key. Introduce television and internet and mobile phones to your children slowly and not right away. Wait a couple of years, for goodness sake. They have plenty of time to turn into inconsiderate, socially-inept, distracted d-bags later in life. Lord knows none of us need help in that department. *rolls eyes*
What is a better learn-to-read tool? Mom/Dad+Books or an iPad? Keep technology in its place. I might sound paranoid, but so did those who were among the first to say that cigarettes were harmful to your health. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Not paranoid mate. My nearly 8yr old son has a PS2 and iPodtouch and he is only allowed to play either of them on the weekends. Im slowly introducing him to computers having set up the iMac for him just so he can understand the controls and how a computer works bc i know if he doesnt know that in a cpl yrs he will of gotten left behind . . . . That balance is a hard thing to get right as long as we dont fall for the "oh but Johnny has one" lol

Reaction score
Maybe now they can get voice over to read a book with the screen locked. Perhaps if they're quiet and sneaky, the writers' guild won't notice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Not paranoid mate. My nearly 8yr old son has a PS2 and iPodtouch and he is only allowed to play either of them on the weekends. Im slowly introducing him to computers having set up the iMac for him just so he can understand the controls and how a computer works bc i know if he doesnt know that in a cpl yrs he will of gotten left behind . . . . That balance is a hard thing to get right as long as we dont fall for the "oh but Johnny has one" lol

Totally agree. I guess we just need to get it ingrained early on that toys/video games/electronics are fine, but there's other priorities. When I was a kid I had to wait until all my homework and chores got finished before I could even consider playing games, or even going out to play in the yard. Parents these days are complete pushovers that cave too easily when their kids start whining about stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Parents these days are complete pushovers that cave too easily when their kids start whining about stuff.

I agree. I had a friend that amongst other things, i was appalled at the way he was bringing up his 2 boys. They dont do any sport, after school activities, dont have a big social circle (they both have acknowledged social problems) all bc when they get too much he shoves them in front of the computer games (currently 76 Xbox 360 games, 24 PS3 games and i cant even count the number on there NintendoDS). It is so wrong to the extent of child Abuse.

Children these days are forgetting how to be kids and that is sad. I had 10 000 Acres to run around on when i grew up on a farm, and i was only home through the week just so i could attend school. Weekends where me and friends treating the farm as one big adventure. I miss those days lol

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Weekends where me and friends treating the farm as one big adventure. I miss those days lol

Cheers

I miss those days too and I'm still in my early 20's!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.