3d Studio Max for Windows 7 Parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello potentially helpful readers.
I downloaded autodesk 3d studio max 2012 for my windows 7 parallel and it could not install because the graphics card was unreadable. I figure windows 7 via parallels cant support the intense graphics that 3d s max requires for rendering but i was wondering if there were any solutions to this problem. The autodesk website says that 3ds max can be run on windows parallel so im hoping there is something i can do. Please helps!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

I'm surprised that Autodesk recommended running in Parallels. The fact that the video card can't be recognized ought to tell you that it isn't going to work. You need to setup a Boot Camp partition and dual boot to Windows if you expect to run Autodesk 3D Studio Max 2012.

Take a look at the System Requirements for the 32 bit version: (Pay special attention to the graphics requirements which are bolded)

System Requirements
32-Bit 3ds Max 2012 or 3ds Max Design 2012 for Windows

Operating system: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional operating system, Microsoft® Windows Vista® Business operating system (SP2 or higher), or Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional operating system (SP3 or higher)

For general animation and rendering (typically fewer than 1,000 objects or 100,000 polygons):

Intel® Pentium® 4 1.4 GHz or equivalent AMD® processor with SSE2 technology*
2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
2 GB swap space (4 GB recommended)**
3 GB free hard drive space
Direct3D® 10 technology, Direct3D 9, or OpenGL-capable graphics card† (256 MB or higher video card memory, 1 GB or higher recommended)
Three-button mouse with mouse driver software
DVD-ROM drive††
Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 8.0 internet browser or higher or Mozilla® Firefox® 3.0 internet browser or higher
Internet connection for web downloads and Autodesk® Subscription-aware access

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Weird that you wouldn't have just bought the Mac native version. Or am I missing something?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure they have a Mac native version. Here's what they say about their "Mac version":

3ds Max 2012 or 3ds Max Design 2012 for Macintosh

Boot Camp
You can install Autodesk 3ds Max and 3ds Max Design 2012 software on a Mac® computer on a Windows® partition. The system must use Boot Camp® application program to help manage a dual OS configuration and meet the minimum system requirements.

Intel®-based Mac Pro or MacBook® Pro computer¹
Mac® OS X 10.5.x or higher operating system
Boot Camp V 2.0 or higher
Minimum 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended for 32-bit Windows, 8 GB or more for 64-bit Windows)
Minimum 20 GB disk space for Apple OS partition, minimum 20 GB for Windows OS partition
Mac Virtualization on Parallels Desktop
Autodesk 3ds Max and 3ds Max Design 2012 can be used on the Mac via Parallels Desktop® for Mac software without having to boot directly into the Windows OS so it is easy to switch between platforms. The system must meet the following requirements:

Intel-based Mac Pro or MacBook Pro¹
Mac OS X 10.5.x or higher
Parallels Desktop 4.0 (4.0.3844 or higher)²
Minimum 4 GB RAM (6 GB system memory for 32-bit Windows, 8 GB or more for 64-bit Windows recommended)
Minimum 40 GB available disk space (100 GB recommended)
For more details, read the 3ds Max for Mac FAQ.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure they have a Mac native version. Here's what they say about their "Mac version":

Well, that's deceptive. When I looked at their "Mac compatible" software, it came up as though they had it native.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That whole thing is pretty screwy.

Seems like they're saying you must install it to a Boot Camp partition, but once installed to the Windows partition, only then can it be used in Parallels 4.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not only is it confusing, their system requirements for running Autodesk would seem to preclude it from being run in a virtual machine because of the OpenGL and 3D graphic requirements.

I hope the OP is reading all this.

OP
T
Reaction score
OK well, thanks. I heard that there was some plug in you could get to fix it but it seems like most people are recommending boot camp. Ill probably try to use that but I was wondering if the graphics card requirement for 3ds was for the mac or the windows parallel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.