Photo Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro, 2.66 GHz Intel Core, Mac OS X Lion NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 2 Duo,
The other day I downloaded some photos from a picture cd to my desktop.:cool:

Now that I no longer need the photos, they appear to be locked and cannot be deleted or moved from the desktop.:mad:

Is there anyway I can get around this to delete them, unlock them, somehow get rid of them? :confused:

Thanks alot.

S

sursuciofla

jayluna said:
The other day I downloaded some photos from a picture cd to my desktop.:cool:

Now that I no longer need the photos, they appear to be locked and cannot be deleted or moved from the desktop.:mad:

Is there anyway I can get around this to delete them, unlock them, somehow get rid of them? :confused:

Thanks alot.

YES! I have run into that problem often and the problem is that the files came from a cd off a windows machine and when you dump them on mac they are locked. Just go into the folder or select all of the photos by holding SHIFT, then while holding that click on eack image to select them all. Then go to FILE-GET INFO and deselect the LOCK. This should unlock all of the images and you should be able to move them to trash and dump it.

OP
jayluna
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro, 2.66 GHz Intel Core, Mac OS X Lion NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 2 Duo,
sursuciofla said:
YES! I have run into that problem often and the problem is that the files came from a cd off a windows machine and when you dump them on mac they are locked. Just go into the folder or select all of the photos by holding SHIFT, then while holding that click on eack image to select them all. Then go to FILE-GET INFO and deselect the LOCK. This should unlock all of the images and you should be able to move them to trash and dump it.

Thank you for your reply.

I tried that several times before my post, I probably should have included that.... either way, the lock and unlock option is shaded, and is no longer an option.. The included picture should show you what problem I encounter.

problem.jpg

S

sursuciofla

Interesting. What kind of file is it? Also does it say the same when you just click on one at a time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If you can't unlock it then

Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

type in 'cd desktop' hit enter
type 'sudo rm filename.jpg' hit enter and type in your password

OP
jayluna
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sursuciofla said:
Interesting. What kind of file is it? Also does it say the same when you just click on one at a time?

They're regular JPEG images... and oh I figured it out... Thanks alot. It turns out you could only unlock them one at a time... ha ha. Thanks again. :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.