Help with photo scanning/conversion

Reaction score
Hi!

I recently bought a pandigital scanner for a book project I'm working on. It works great but the photos come out JEPG and at less than 20cm. I need them to keep their 300dpi resolution but convert to TIFF files and 20cm. Is there a way to do this so I don't waste hours of work/have to buy a new scanner?

Thanks for the help,
Prairiedances

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open up Image Capture - select the scanner - wait for it to warm up - should have choice of dpi from 75-4800, size adjustment in pixels, inches or cm, format type of your choice, etc.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately, it is a portable scanner that does not need to be hooked up to the computer to scan. I already have all these photos saved on a card. Just wondering how I can convert 9cm JPG photos at 300dpi to 20cm TIFF files still at 300dpi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You'd be better off rescanning.

C

chas_m

You can't really "blow up" photos from their scanned size with sacrificing LOTS of image quality. As Dysfunction says, re-scan (chances are actually quite high that your original scanning software had preferences that would have let you specify format and resolution).

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah I will probably just rescan. I actually had to return the scanner because I contacted the company and you can't change the settings on the scanner. Hopefully the replacement one will let me! Thanks again :)

Reaction score
Whenever you are going to scan your picture first thing you need to do is to keep up the resolution of the picture according to your requirement. first set all the preliminary things like resolutions and Image size. All the directions is placed on it you just need to give direction to the setting.

C

chas_m

I generally tell people to scan pictures at the highest OPTICAL resolution the scanner they are using is capable of, and save those unedited "master scans" as TIFF files. Ideally, you'd then burn a CD/DVD of the TIFF files and put that aside.

Next, you'd edit the TIFF files on your computer in something like Photoshop. Once you're happy with the edit, save as JPG at a lower resolution (300dpi should be plenty). Once you've done this for all slides, you can delete the TIFFs on your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Once you've done this for all slides, you can delete the TIFFs on your computer.

As long as you're never going to do any more image adjustment/modification. I really hate working with jpegs in this regard.

C

chas_m

As long as you're never going to do any more image adjustment/modification. I really hate working with jpegs in this regard.

Yes, as I said in my post, *once you're happy* with the edits then make JPEGs.

Up to that point, keep it in TIFF format (and my earlier step ensures that you can always "go back to the masters" you burned on disk and start again, but the idea behind my suggested workflow is that you won't ever have to re-scan anything ever again).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.