Will More RAM Slow Startup Times and Will it Speed Up Gaming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"...i5 2.4ghz...4GB RAM...320GB HDD
Hi,

I was thinking of upgrading my Mid 2010 Macbook Pro's 4GB of Memory to 8GB (2X4GB).
I have heard roumors that it will slow down startup times. Also, it sounds obvious, but will it help with gaming performance and reducing lag during games? That may be the processor?

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In my experience, it won't slow boot, but it will slow safe sleep (also known as hibernation, if you use that).

Hard to say as to whether it will help with gaming - it really depends on the game and if it needs that kind of memory. If the game is 64-Bit, then it might. Games are more influenced by GPU/CPU upgrades, although with the latest generation of games, the RAM could help too.

Keep in mind that RAM never "adds speed". It will simply make the machine more efficient if the programs you run actually consume more physical memory than you have, leading the computer to using more virtual memory. The more virtual memory that is actively being used, the slower the machine will behave.

OP
S4MB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"...i5 2.4ghz...4GB RAM...320GB HDD
Ok thanks!:Cool:

Do you play any games on your mac and do you suffer from lag?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Not really. I have played Portal 2 a bit, but mostly use a desktop PC for gaming (gaming on a laptop generally sucks, IMO).

Reaction score

What are the current specs on your laptop? Generally games don't perform that well but you can get better performance by booting with Windows 7 and using the built in drivers from that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.