apple tv in south africa

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a new Apple TV in the UK and have a UK iTunes account and I'm now in South Africa.

I fixed everything up, movie previews work just fine, but I have attempted to rent a movie for 30 days. It has taken £4.49 from my account but when I go to view it on Apple TV it tries to load and then says "An error occurred loading this content"

Can anyone advise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi,

I purchased a new Apple TV in the UK and have a UK iTunes account and I'm now in South Africa.

I fixed everything up, movie previews work just fine, but I have attempted to rent a movie for 30 days. It has taken £4.49 from my account but when I go to view it on Apple TV it tries to load and then says "An error occurred loading this content"

I would get up with Apple and seek a refund. Your iTunes account is registered for the UK, pricing is set accordingly for that region, as well as actual viewing of the media. This is a virtual version of the region-coding for DVDs. In much the same way a region-1 DVD can't be played on a region-2 DVD player, iTunes media bought with licenses for the UK can't be streamed to areas outside the authorized area. Blame the entertainment industry for these hassles. You'll need to access your iTunes account and change your Country/Region information to reflect where you are in order to rent movies in the future.

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
I had the same problem living in Spain as you are forced into accepting the iTunes store of the host country, which isn't great for me as a huge fan of Country music, especially the new stuff, which isn't always available in Spain.
But with a UK Proxy I was able to set up a new UK-based account, although I don't actually use it much, but it does allow you to access the Apps. Store for my iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.