Help

Reaction score
Ok so, I recently had my hdd swapped cause it failed and then my dad picekd it up put parental junk on it, and manged to disable booting from a disc, single user boot mode, verbose, and obviously dont have the admin password, please help me but terminal is open! so i can use command lines..?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If it's your computer, why did you father put all those restrictions? If it's not yours, perhaps you should have a conversation with your dad about those restrictions..

OP
A
Reaction score
no its mine hes just saying he wants control over a 16 year olds computer which is pissing me off

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If he's put the level of locks (almost firmware level it sounds like), then I think there is little you can do to work around it..

Is it yours as in you paid for it, or yours as in you are the primary user of it? Perhaps a reasonable conversation with him will allow you to get more access to the computer..

OP
A
Reaction score
so there is absolutley no way of cracking these firmware passwords thru terminal?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing is impossible..but that firmware level of "hacking" would involve significant skills and definitely not a trivial thing that can be done with a couple of terminal commands..

Bottom line, I don't think you're going to be able to work around this somehow..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok so, I recently had my hdd swapped cause it failed and then my dad picekd it up put parental junk on it, and manged to disable booting from a disc, single user boot mode, verbose, and obviously dont have the admin password, please help me but terminal is open! so i can use command lines..?

A big question may be...why did your dad feel the need to install these restrictions?

Is it due to previous unacceptable activity on your part, parents being proactive to provide better security & safety for you (online bullies, online predators, spam, identity theft, phishing, etc.)?

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A big question may be...why did your dad feel the need to install these restrictions?

Is it due to previous unacceptable activity on your part, parents being proactive to provide better security & safety for you (online bullies, online predators, spam, identity theft, phishing, etc.)?

- Nick

Very good question Nick. I was about to ask the same thing!

Only thing that bugs me is with all that in place, the owner of the computer sure can't do a lot! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Only thing that bugs me is with all that in place, the owner of the computer sure can't do a lot! :D

Well...

Not sure about other folks...but when I was 16 living under my parents roof where they:

- paid for everything
- legally responsible for just about everything I did (which would include inappropriate activity on the computer/internet)
- and (like it or not) were trying to watch out for my safety/security

...the parents pretty much owned everything (even if I paid for it via Summer jobs, etc.).

"Freedom" comes when you move out of the house...pay ALL your own bills...then you don't have any money to even afford to purchase a computer!;)

- Nick

p.s. To the OP...I know that all this "control" over the computer stinks...but parents (like it or not) are 100% in charge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.