MacOs Freeze

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a strange problem that i don't know the cause ou either how to solve it.
I use macOs 10.5.8 in a Mac Pro. In the last days de sistem became very strange. When i start the computer, the sistem takes too ong to start, about 10 min, until it oppen and then if i try to oppen any aplication or make same kind of action, it takes to long to do something. It freeze the sistem and the task only became active, pasting another 10 min.
What could be the problem and what can i do to solve it? I'm completelly clueless.

Thks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

For starters go into System Preferences > Startup Disk and make sure the drive with your operating system is selected and highlighted. Next boot from your install disk, hold down 'C' immediately after the chime, to top utilities > Disk Utility > Repair Disk and see what is reported there. Keep us posted?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi Harry.

Thks for your help. I already tried to do that. I made the repair disk with the starup disk, but the task gave me an error. I tryed again just to make sure and gave the same error.
I tried also to turn on my External disk to save my files and format de comp. but the external disk don't keep conected more than 10 min. It just turn off unexpectedly while is copying the files. :(

So i tryed to boot with a Ubunto live cd just to copy my files and format the comp. but the ubunto live cd wasn't able to boot. I tryed the ubunto live cd in my HiMac and it wasn't able to boot to, so i guess the live cd doesn't recognise the mac harddrive.
Do you know some linux version that will boot in a Mac?

Thks again for you concern.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That error would be???

It really sounds like your drive is dieing.

I'm guessing your external is not a bootable backup? It was probably the internal drive having the problem of not reading, so the external went back to sleep since nothing was happening.

I start having a drive act like that - I just get a new drive - install the OS onto it - grab a kit like this to connect the old drive externally and try to salvage what data you can from it.

I'm not sure if any of the apps for this (like Data Rescue 3) will help with a drive having mechanical issues or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do as our administrator suggests. You could try a utility such as DiskWarrior, but at $99 may well be better to lash out on a new hard drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Yesterday i took the starup disk and reinstalled the operating sistem with the option to make a folder with all data of the previous operating sistem in order to have a completely new OP running and test to see if the problem wold be from the software or the hardware, and at the same time tring to save my data wich is 19 gigas of working files.
Well the serult was. I have the new OP witch looks to work fine, but when i try to copy the data from the folder of the previous operating sistem to my external Disk it becomes to slow again and some files say that can't be writen.
What do you think about this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.