I.M. not working after 10.6.8 Update!

Reaction score
My Skype, MSN, and AIM all "quit unexpectedly" whenever I try to open or I.M. (with Skype) anyone. I'm sure it has something to do with updating my MacBook Pro.

I, sadly, didn't back anything up. I've tried uninstalling, re-installing, and simply installing and nothing has worked. The programs still do not work. Photoshop, Illustrator, iTunes, Mail, iChat, and Firefox (along with whatever else I may use) work perfectly fine.

Aim with iChat works but AIM alone does not. I downloaded AIM just to test it out. I'm not sure if upgrading to Lion (whenever it is released) will "fix" the issue or if it's simply an error when updating my MacBook Pro (even though there were no signs of an error while I updated).

If anyone has any suggestions or ways of possibly fixing the issue; I'd very much appreciate it. I've also tried google-ing the problem in various different ways and nothing seems to come up related to the issue I'm having.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

The 10.6.8 update has caused problems for some folks. What you can try is download the 10.6.8 combo updater. That has fixed it for some users who were experiencing the same difficulty as you but with various apps that just seem to be broken by the update.

Download the combo update from here. LINK

Reaction score
Having had a problem with mail i deleted and reinstalled it from the DVD but now when i try to open it i get this message" you can ’t use this version of Mail with this version of Mac OS, You have Mail version 4.3 (1081/1084). It can’t be used on Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 (Build 10K549). For more information, click the Help button." I have tried reinstalling it a number of times and still get the same result. I have also downloaded the 10.6.8 combo installer and repaired disk permissions to no effect. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.