Should i buy the iphone4 or wait for the iphone5 to come out?

Reaction score
I want to buy the iphone4 since i just signed on with at&t today but i don't want to buy it and then the next one come out in 2 months and miss out on the newest one for the same proce when i could have just waited. also, anyone know when the iphone5 comes out? and what the difference between it and the iphone 4 will be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums . . . .

Have a read of this thread and in particular the 1st few posts. We really dont know until it happens we can only speculate.

Iphone 5 have we?

Reaction score
I just bought iPhone 4 and it is really great and cheap :p

I did not want to wait for iPhone 5 because I believe that the change will not be so much different from iPhone4.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I did not want to wait for iPhone 5 because I believe that the change will not be so much different from iPhone4.

..that's impossible to know since Apple has released NO information about the iPhone 5..and if history is any indication, EVERY iPhone has been better with, in some cases, significant changes than the previous version. There's no reason to believe that the iPhone 5 will be any different..

That being said, however, there is also no indication when the iPhone 5 will be out, it might be this month or later..who knows..:)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Actually..no better in this case isn't subjective..with each new revision of the iPhone, the hardware has gotten better..I have my iPhone 3G that is nothing compared to the my iPhone 4..apart from the processor, increased RAM, much better display, and camera..

Now what is subjective is whether you need to wait for the upgrade that is inevitable to happen at some point later this year..if the performance/capabilities of the iPhone 4 work for the OP now, then that's what they should get..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I want to buy the iphone4 since i just signed on with at&t today but i don't want to buy it and then the next one come out in 2 months and miss out on the newest one for the same proce when i could have just waited. also, anyone know when the iphone5 comes out? and what the difference between it and the iphone 4 will be?

This is the advice I normally give people about computers, but I think it applies to Smartphones and iPads as well...

Buy the machine that best suits your needs when you need it. It will continue to serve those needs long after an updated model is released. If you're always waiting for "the next best thing" in technology, you'll wait forever.

A lot of people made this same argument when Verizon released the iPhone. 5 months later, I still couldn't be happier with my VZW iPhone and I'm sure when a new iPhone is released down the road, it will continue to work just as well. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don't agree. "better" is subjective here. Better how? If you mean something new, yeah sure. But as far as "better" enough to spend the money to upgrade: No. The iPhone 3gs was not "better" enough to upgrade from the iPhone 3g in my opinion, and I think that is what the OP was asking about.

If the iPhone 4g (s) 5 whaterver it will be called is the same as the change from 3g to 3gs, then it won't be a "better" upgrade all things considered.

That's absurd. Of course the next iPhone will be a better model than the prior. Every model has been better to varying degrees than the prior. There's nothing subjective about it. Even the 3Gs was a significant bump over the 3G. Just look at iOS 4. Out the gate, the 3Gs was able to utilize more of the features from iOS 4 than the 3G could, and Apple wound up dropping support prematurely for the 3G because the hardware was just too anemic to handle it. What one considers to be "better enough" is purely subjective, but that's something wholly different. The iPhone 5 WILL be improved and "better" than the iPhone 4. To what degree remains to be seen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I said it was my opinion. No, it is not an absurd opinion either. Do you have a habit of trying to berate everyone with a differing opinion than your own?

Only when they say ridiculous things. The 3Gs has a better camera; faster processor; double the speed on HSDPA; supports numerous features in iOS 4 that the iPhone 3 didn't get. Quite a few apps don't run on the iPhone 3. The iPhone 3Gs, while certainly inferior to the iPhone 4 in a number of ways, is still a very good performing phone with a lot of life in it. The iPhone 3 stopped getting iOS 4 updates because it simply couldn't handle it. It's grossly inferior to the iPhone 3Gs. This is a fact that anyone running them side-by-side can see as plain as the nose on my face. And I have a huge nose that you can't miss.

C

chas_m

Dear Ms. Palin:

I'm sorry that you had to come here to find out that an opinion isn't necessarily valid just because it's YOUR opinion.

Good luck in the future!

Reaction score
Dear Ms. Palin:

I'm sorry that you had to come here to find out that an opinion isn't necessarily valid just because it's YOUR opinion.

Good luck in the future!

And this has to do with buying and iPhone 4 or waiting on the iPhone 5, HOW?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
welcome..

if i were in your position i would wait till the fifth generation iphone is released,i was going to do this 2 months ago but could not resist the white iphone4 lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.