Inverter cable port broke, any hope?

Reaction score
My girlfriend dropped my early 2008 MacBook and broke the screen. Since it's out of warranty I tried replacing the screen myself. Because I suck, when trying to plug back in the backlight inverter cable, I snapped off the port. Is there anyway I can replace this part or would I have to replace my logic board? I have a friend who worked for a computer repair company and has the tools, experience, etc. to help me out if there is a way to buy a new port or rewire something, I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My girlfriend dropped my early 2008 MacBook and broke the screen. Since it's out of warranty I tried replacing the screen myself. Because I suck, when trying to plug back in the backlight inverter cable, I snapped off the port. Is there anyway I can replace this part or would I have to replace my logic board? I have a friend who worked for a computer repair company and has the tools, experience, etc. to help me out if there is a way to buy a new port or rewire something, I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Ask your friend if he's the one who'd be doing the job. He's in a better position to say what he can do.

OP
B
Reaction score
Anyone able to help? Can't really find anything online. Even a "you have to buy a new logicboard" would help. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been doing computer repairs for years and it's been my personal experience when attempting to replace surface mounted components and connectors, that attempting to do so without the proper tools, usually results in more damage.

Having said the above, my recommendation is to replace the entire logic board unless your friend has the experience, proper tools, and know how to replace that connector. Even at that, the connector is not sold separately which means finding a defective board somewhere that you could remove the connector from. Lots of work.

Refurbished and used logic boards are stocked at many different suppliers most of which you can search out on the net or take a look at the advertisements in the back of MacWorld Magazine. Even used and refurbished logic boards can be fairly expensive, so be forewarned.

Another option is to look for non working machines with the same specs as yours on eBay. But again, prices for non working Macs are fairly high and you don't always know what you're getting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.