External HardDrive - Copying Files

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently started using a Mac Book Air. I have WD external drive, that has files from the windows OS. When I connect the HD to the Air, I can read them fine.

But when I try to Edit, Like want to rename a file on the HD, I see no option to do that. I tried dragging files from the desktop on Air to the HD, it would do nothing.

But when I try to copy/drag files from HD to the desktop, they work fine.

How should I copy files from my MacBook Ait to the External HD?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Based on the information you provided, your external hard drive is likely formatted to NTFS which can only be read but not written to by your MacBook Air. It's OK to continue using that hard drive but you'll need a third party driver to be able to read and write to it. The best one is from Paragon Software: "Paragon NTFS" cost is $19.95. After installing the driver, you'll have read and write access from the Air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.