Mac Wifi Antenna Booster

Reaction score
I bought a used Macbook and I'm barely able to get Wifi signal from my Apt Building's included Wifi. Would something like this help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

When you buy a used computer there's always a chance that something may be defective. The WiFi antenna in a MacBook is located in the display area - in other words the clamshell that holds the LCD. Sometimes when the LCD has been changed or maintenance performed, the antenna is not put back in its proper place. That reduces the signal. Or, the airport card in the MacBook may be defective. Also make sure that the signal in your apartment is a good signal. Test it with another wireless computer or phone.

As far as the external antenna and booster you linked to, it will probably work OK. But make sure you can get a refund if it doesn't. If the external antenna doesn't work you may have to resort to using an ethernet connection.

OP
K
Reaction score
I don't think the problem is the actual computer because I've tested with a friend's brand new macbook and had the same problem. I think its the location of the router. The only problem is I can't change the location of the router because it provides wifi to the whole building. Guess I'll have to try the booster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.