Keeping apps when switching itunes?

zeb

Reaction score
I switched computers and therefore need to switch itunes...however, I have a TON of apps on my iphone that I want to keep. When I try to sync on the new macbook it says that everything will be erased. How do I avoid this and keep my apps? Thanks!

C

chas_m

As long as you new iTunes uses the same iTunes ACCOUNT as the old one, don't worry about it. You will be able to re-download every app you've purchased, or you can just restore from a previous back-up (which of course you need to move from your old computer).

Either way, you MIGHT lose app data (such as highscores in games) but the app *themselves* can re-downloaded for free from the App Store as long as its under the same account.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
how do i make a backup in my old itunes and import it into my new itunes? sorry for these stupid questions and thanks for your help!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iTunes should auto backup when you sync.

The backup file is located in your home folder at:

/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

You could try copying that to the new computer and then restore from the backup. Have not done this myself.

You can also turn on Homesharing in iTunes on both computers and use it to sync everything to your new computer. Even my Win 7 machine has all my apps on it and it's never had an iDevice connected to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.