Keeping files private - while at apple workshop

Reaction score
A security concern.
Got an iMac 3 weeks ago and am in discovery mode. I need to take it back to iShop to sort out a problem (Mac wont update) and while there they can also install new OS Lion.
On purchase the iShop helped move all Window Files and Outlook to iMac - all ok.
How would I go about giving the technician access to iMac to perform the above tasks without having access to items like iTunes/MacMail/DocumentFolders etc.
I understand that to change OS to Lion he needs access -
If the above can be done while I wait - I may not be so concerned - however, if I have to leave the Mac overnight then I would like to have the areas of concern well protected.
At work I simply use password on start up.
Can you suggest or recommend an easy to use and effective solution?
Much appreciated, TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not think you can ~ Mail etc to be updated with new release of OS X.7. With the new OS being released do no think technicians will have time to go through hard drives.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks harry, i was not aware of the extent of change in new OS 7.
guess if it still bugs me I could transfer mail and docs to external drive and
copy back when service completed..
Surprised that Mac has no simple function like 'password protect folder'
or maybe I just haven't found it - looked everywhere.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're concerned about privacy, remove whatever you think you would like to keep from someone else's eyes and copy it to an external hard drive before taking the machine to Apple. After they're through and return the machine to you, copy it back.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yep, think i may just do that - copy to ext hard drive then revert.
Any idea how I would transfer mac mail to the hard drive -
did it easily on outlook -
looked around and found a few long drawn alternatives.
thanks chscag

C

chas_m

You can also simply create a password protected and encrypted disk image using Disk Utility and move files there. Or just copy them onto a thumb drive and put them back when the machine is back in your possession.

Lion isn't coming up for a little while yet, the latest rumours have it arriving on the 14th so don't go into town tomorrow expecting to come home with Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Your mail messages are stored in ~Library>Mail. ~ stands for your home folder, your user account. You can just copy the Mail folder onto an external drive, erase it from your computer, then just put it back when you have your computer again. Easy!

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys - will attempt disk image and library mail
challenge.
chas-m if I understand right, you create a disc image and move
files into it ?
I tried to convert the folder to disk image :(
well it is a big apple :)

Oneironaut, I assume the size of the mail folder would not be of consequence..besides I am using iOmega HD - read something about fat32 compliancy.

great help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I know there is a lot of not very nice people out there, but just like taking it to  if iShop values there reputation i highly doubt they will go through a randoms HD to access information for monetary value. As another post suggests as well they wouldnt have time and time is money !!! Just saying

Good luck and hope they can find your problem.

Im curious as to your problem as we might be able to help !!! What do you mean by *Mac wont update* ??

if I understand right, you create a disc image and move files into it ?

EDIT : How to create a password-protected (encrypted) disk image in Mac OS X 10.3 or later

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes, I agree that iShop has a reputation to uphold, just some of the scary stories I come across in this tech age - guess its only a case of 'caution' in unknown waters..especially for a noob :) - thanks for the assurance.

With regard to 'mac won't update' - When I tried I got :
'The Software Update server 1722....is not responding'
Then it does a test and confirms that internet connection is fine.

So I downloaded 6.8 update online and attempted to install - but got this: 10.6.8.dm error 4960

May not be critical for me at this point since I have 10.6.7 and hoping to get Lion soon.
In the meantime I have lots of ground to cover.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ok well im off to work (live in Aust) but i think if you Repiar Permissions Via Disk Utility Open DU pick yourHD in the left column. Make sure First Aid tab is checked then click Repair Permissions. Sit back and when its done log pout then back in. If you can dl the Combo 10.6.8 again and try and install it. Repairing permissions might straighten something out and you also could of got a corrupt dl . . .

Worth a try and good luck

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks TattooedMac - have a great day at work
while I tinkermac onwards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.