How can I view "connect to server" places by an alias vs IP

Reaction score
I have several machines I connect to from my Mac. All of them I'm accessing via IP address. Is there some kind of application that lets me map those favorite places by some alias? (I know I could do this with bash aliases etc but I want something more UI friendly)

Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have several machines I connect to from my Mac. All of them I'm accessing via IP address. Is there some kind of application that lets me map those favorite places by some alias? (I know I could do this with bash aliases etc but I want something more UI friendly)

Thanks for any help

Once it's mounted, just drag the icon to the sidebar in Finder.

OP
R
Reaction score
Once it's mounted, just drag the icon to the sidebar in Finder.

The problem is I have several of them and you can't rename them so all I see is the IP addresses and I often don't want to mount all of them anyway.

I think I found a solution that seems to work:
1) Copy your smb://{ip} url into TextEdit
2) highlight the url from textedit and drag into finder into a directory of your choice (I made one called Network Connections)
3) Rename the *.inetloc file that was created to one that makes sense

Now you can connect to the machines by just double clicking the alias in Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is I have several of them and you can't rename them so all I see is the IP addresses and I often don't want to mount all of them anyway.

I think I found a solution that seems to work:
1) Copy your smb://{ip} url into TextEdit
2) highlight the url from textedit and drag into finder into a directory of your choice (I made one called Network Connections)
3) Rename the *.inetloc file that was created to one that makes sense

Now you can connect to the machines by just double clicking the alias in Finder

Great solution! Thanks for sharing.

OP
R
Reaction score
It's still not perfect though because you'll end up with the IP showing up in finder (under shared) after you connect - not the alias you named it. It does help you figure out which machine you want to connect by a name, but once your connected to them it's not really easy to know which machine is which (unless you remember the IP addresses.)

(Typically I'll just leave the finder window open that made the connection so I can usually tell by the directory contents which machine I want - but this requires cycling through your finder windows.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's still not perfect though because you'll end up with the IP showing up in finder (under shared) after you connect - not the alias you named it. It does help you figure out which machine you want to connect by a name, but once your connected to them it's not really easy to know which machine is which (unless you remember the IP addresses.)

(Typically I'll just leave the finder window open that made the connection so I can usually tell by the directory contents which machine I want - but this requires cycling through your finder windows.)

You really need a 3rd-party tool. I would recommend Transmit (it has some REALLY cool features!), but it doesn't seem to be able to connect to SMB mounts. Forklift might fit the bill.
Download ForkLift for Mac - Powerful file manager: FTP, WebDAV, S3, Bluetooth, more. MacUpdate.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.