Sorting Files in Finder - Need Help

Reaction score
I'm trying to move pictures from an album in iPhoto to a folder on my desktop, but I don't want the finder to sort them differently than the order I have them in the album in iPhoto. Is there any way to turn the sorting off so that they come over just as they are? The finder keeps sorting them by the file name, but I don't want that. I want it to be manual because all of the file names of the pictures are different and not numerically in order. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm trying to move pictures from an album in iPhoto to a folder on my desktop, but I don't want the finder to sort them differently than the order I have them in the album in iPhoto. Is there any way to turn the sorting off so that they come over just as they are? The finder keeps sorting them by the file name, but I don't want that. I want it to be manual because all of the file names of the pictures are different and not numerically in order. Any ideas?

If you don't care about the date, use the "Batch Change" feature in iPhoto to set the date with a minute interval between each photo.

EDIT: You can also change their name using the "Event" that they are in, and then they'll be named sequentially.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.