Help! Terminal wont open!

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently (couple days ago) upgraded the HDD in my MB from the standard 160GB to a new Samsung 320GB HDD. I used CCC to clone the old hard drive, and all went well. EXCEPT, terminal wont open, so I tried reinstalling it by downloading the latest combo update and installing (update) terminal via Pacifist, but still no joy.

So I've just put my old HDD back into the MB, and it seems that the problem was cloned from the old HDD.

If it makes any difference, I done an archive and install a few weeks ago with the old hard drive, and I havnt used terminal since then, so I dont know if this problem arose before the archive and install, or after.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Do you get an error when you try and launch it? What exactly happens?

OP
T
Reaction score
Do you get an error when you try and launch it? What exactly happens?

At first, before I attempted to fix it, it would just crash, and I'd get the standard Ignore/Report/Relaunch screen.

Now, nothing at all happens, I click the icon (well there is no icon, just the generic application icon) and nothing happens.

At some point during my attempts to fix it, I was getting an error saying that the application wasnt supported on the architecture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
depending on the OS I'd be tempted to reinstall.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm on 10.5.8. What would be my best option for doing this.

I'm not sure if this is right, but heres how I imagine it would work.

Basically, I only done this HDD upgrade a couple days ago, and I've got no new important files on this HDD that arent on my old HDD. So I'm guessing I put my old HDD in the enclosure (USB), and have the new one (which is what I am using now, with 10.5.8) in the MB.

Then boot from the Mac OS X Install disc, and erase and install. Then use migration assistant when Mac is installed and running, with the old HDD in the enclosure (USB).

Would that work? How are the files arranged when you use migration assistant, or is it the same as you get with archive and install where you have a previous systems folder?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A bit of an odd solution but you might want to try the following. Install iTerm and using that, execute the following to see what is reported back as an error when you try to launch Terminal:
Code:
/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal
Hopefully something will be printed back.

OP
T
Reaction score
Okay Vansmith, heres the result:
2011-07-10 20:05:21.524 Terminal[265:10b] Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

Make any sense to you?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Does the file /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib exist (change the English.lproj folder if you're using a different language of course)? If so, do you have read permissions?

OP
T
Reaction score
Does the file /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib exist (change the English.lproj folder if you're using a different language of course)? If so, do you have read permissions?

Okay, I looked, and that file doesn't exist there

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's your problem - the file, if I know my OS X Cocoa programming, is the file that defines the menus. Since it can't be found, the app crashes since it can't be displayed properly (someone with greater familiarity with Cocoa/IB feel free to correct my newbie technical explanation).

Open up Pacifist, find that file and add it to the folder. Try opening it up again and let's hope that's the only file missing.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for your help. I cant find that file anywhere on the OS X install discs, or in the combo update :(

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will be inside of the Terminal app bundle as it's part of the Terminal application. So, you won't see it as a separate file.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's in the combo update, try that one. Worst case: it doesn't work and you try the copy from the install disc.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for your help vansmith! I cant find the file on the install discs or in the combo update though :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.