Hassles connecting to public networks - HELP

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just signed up to this forum so please forgive me if this question has already been answered. I have bought a new Macbook Pro and I am about to go on a trip interstate and I need to use the internet while i'm away. My old Sony Vaio laptop was good for being able to scan local area networks to find unlocked internet for usage - like McDonalds ect. With the Macbook Pro I turned on Airport and I can't seem to connect to anything, it asks for a password or tries to connect me to a pay system. Is there a way around this? Am I using the right setting or does anyone know what I can do to be able to connect to a network without the hassles?

Cheers,
Twitch

C

chas_m

Well I have to ask the most obvious question first: have you verified that there are, in point of fact, unlocked open networks where you are? Or perhaps the "open" networks you are trying to join have a log-in page that comes up later?

You can test this pretty easily by going to the nearest Starbucks (and there is one of those places on every corner it seems!). One can easily join their network, but when you open a browser (before doing anything else, like trying to check email), you'll be automatically sent to a "landing page" where you must agree to their T&C (a checkbox) and then press connect. Only THEN will you be able to surf, check email and so forth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.