• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Repairing and old video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5, 20', 2.0GHz, 1Gig RAM, 250Gig HD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.4
Folks:

I've burned a total of 5 DVDs from older 8mm camcorder video with great success. I've been loving the new world of Mac.

I was at my mother-in-laws the other day and from conversation learned she had an old VCR tape of her mother being presented with a Woman-of-the-Year award. That recording is very precious to her, since her mother died shortly after.

The video of it is in bad shape. I'm not sure of the cause (probably age) but the bright lighting from the spot light turns the speaker's face, and any lighted object, red. At this point, I could simply bur the video to DVD and my Mother-in-law would be most grateful; however, I would really like to try to remove as much of that awful red as I can. The total video length is 17 minutes. So I'm not talking about an entire tape.

I don't own any video software--other than the I products that shipped with my new IMac (i.e. Imovie, IDVD, etc).

Is it possible to go to the local Mac store here in Colorado, with a DVD in hand, and use one of their machines for a few minutes to use Final Cut pro to clean up the coloring? I don't really have a need to buy Final Cut, since IMovie does all my other movies just fine.

What do you guys think? I wish Final Cut had a demo download, since I really only need to clean one video (17 min.).

THanson

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.