Estimated cost of repair: iMac power button

Reaction score
Bought a used 2006 iMac, worked first day, next day no response to pushing power button. Tried all the standard stuff.

Any ballpark idea of how much I might have to pay at the genius bar IF it's just a broken power button issue? Under $100? Under $50?

OP
S
Reaction score
I purchased a 2006 intel iMac on craigslist. It worked fine the first day. Next day it wouldn't turn on.

Tried standard stuff like using different outlets, making sure cord was tight. When it's plugged in I can hear a very light high pitched whine (similar to what you'd hear when turning on old TVs) but there is zero response to the power button.

The button seems a bit odd, like it's pushed in to far, doesn't always bounce back, if I run my finger in circles the button seems to make it's way back up. I tried the unplug for 15 sec, plug in, wait 5 sec and hit power trick. No luck with anything. Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I merged both of your posts together into one topic as the topics of both posts were the same. Please keep the topic confined to one thread. Thanks.

As for the problem with the power button on your iMac, you may be able to repair it yourself. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up your model iMac and see what would be involved in repairing it. An iMac is difficult to work on because the display must be removed to get at the inside of the machine.

You could of course take it to an Apple store and have them give you an estimate for the repairs.

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
It obviously is - unless you bought 2 ?:|

OP
S
Reaction score
One is a question about repair costs. One is asking advice on a hardware problem. They are not the same topic.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Both posts are related to the same topic - a power button that does not work.

Sorry, but asking how do I fix it and how much to have someone else fix it, does not make it 2 separate topics.

This is merely a judgement call, and imho, the correct one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Don't start fights with the people you are asking for help. Hope you get it fixed, good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.