Which should I buy ..... and WHY???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
'Er indoors has talked me into getting an iPad. It has to be a genuine Apple iPad and not one of the Chinese versions. The snag is ..... which version to get?
Let's look at the GB count to start with. As I understand it, once you make your choice, there is no way to upgrade. For instance, if you buy a 16GB iPad and find that you quickly run out of space, there is no way to upgrade it to a 32GB or 64GB version. You are stuck with 16GB.
Personally, I can't see much of a problem with that but it depends on how much space the Apps take up. The stuff that we send to iTunes and then to the iPad will be around 5GB of stuff. Probably a film for me, 3 episodes of Charmed for her and a few of the latest pictures. That being so, I can see 16GB being enough but 32GB being handy "just in case". 64GB is just overkill unless the price is right.
Then there's the next choice that you have to make.
IPad or iPad 2?
The iPad 2 is thinner. ..... Whoopie-do-dah. Does that make it better? Does the iPad 2 have anything going for it that makes it a much better buy than the original iPad? Anything that justifies the huge price difference?
For example, I can buy a 64GB iPad for £429 or the 64GB iPad 2 for £559. The only difference I see is the camera and neither of us uses Facebook or any other messaging websites.

Am I missing something?
Is there a really good reason somewhere for buying the iPad 2 instead of the basic iPad?

Thanks for any info,
Stevie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You are right - storage is not customizable. 32GB is just about right for most people.

iPad 2 vs. 1 depends on what you want/need. 2 does have the faster processor and with that comes ability to run some apps that 1 cannot. Other than that, it's up to you.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that, MyMac.
I've been doing a bit of checking and it seems that it may be easier to get files from an SD card, be they images, ebooks or movies, on to an iPad 2 than a standard iPad. That is something that I would want to do a lot off. Actually, more her than me what with pictures of the grandkids that need sharing around.
I guess my best bet is a 32GB iPad 2

Cheers,
Steve

ps .... Apart from the stuff that comes with an iPad in the box when new and one of those covers that doubles as a stand for a good movie viewing angle, what else are the Must-Have accessories?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iPad or iPad 2 or any other iOS device doesn't have a SD slot or anything..you always use iTunes through the USB interface to transfer images, movies, music, books and so on..

I have the iPad 2 16-GB and use it mainly for apps and books and have about 5 GB filled up, I don't imagine that I'll be getting much beyond that and will prune if I do start to run out of space..

But if you are going to be more media-centric..then the larger storage sizes will make all the difference..

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ooops. Duplicated post

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Razoredge .... What I said about transferring stuff from SD card to the iPad was after reading from this page. *about half way down on the left)
Apple (United Kingdom) - iPad - Make your iPad even better with accessories.

I also like the bit about maybe being able to show what is on the iPad screen on a 52 inch Plasma screen.

Yup, it just requires some extra items from the Apple Store. The camera kit and the HD TV adapter kit. Not cheap, but worth it if it's something you will be using a lot.

Keep an eye on the Apple Refurb store, as you could save a little coin on a good-as-new refurbished iPad 2. Plenty of members here will swear by Apple's refurbs. My wife and I both bought refurbished iPhone 4's last year and never had a complaint. You'd never know the difference.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bit the bullet and went into the Apple store in Southampton on Sunday and bought at 32gb iPad 2 in white for £479.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.