Volume disabled/greyed out - can only use bluetooth speaker!

Reaction score
Hi I've a 2009 MBP and I've successfully paired a bluetooth speaker by SUPERTOOTH. But now I can only play sounds thru the bluetooth speaker, I cannot get the macs internal speaker to work.

I used to be able to easily switch between using the bluetooth speaker or my macs speakers by choosing 'Don't use as audio device' (ie in the bluetooth preferences)

But now when I choose 'Don't use as audio device' it does not switch over to my internal speakers.

If I remove the bluetooth device (ie click on the minus in preferences) OR if I Turn Off Bluetooth all together, my volume is greyed out(ie at the top of screen or via Sound preferences)

Its like its 'stuck'on using the bluetooth speaker.

I'm stuck too, I've searched loads but no luck, found similar issues with greyed out volume where the mac thinks a speaker/headphone is still plugged in but this is not the case for me....

Your help appreciated

PS I also sometimes get this message
(Bluetooth audio failed) There was an error connecting to your headset. Make sure it is turned on and in range. The audio portion of the program you were using may have to be restarted
Button to 'Stop using Headphones' but it makes no difference if I press it?

Reaction score
Interesting, I too have discovered this issue with the audio controls getting greyed out when selecting internal speakers, yet when I select the bluetooth headset it becomes active.
And similarly I have also had the bluetooth audio failed.
I'm using a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.7

I'll keep searching the web in the meantime

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.