Ram Memory maxed, it's a good thing right?

Reaction score
I bought 2GB's of ram for the iMac 20" 1.8, from Apple, even having them install it.I know how easy it is;) but while they have it for other reasons I thought it best to let them do it.No charge for the install, so why not right.
Someone just told me putting 2GB's of ram will slow the computer down, or cause problems. My understanding is that it will be an improvement in performance. Anyway my questions are, Who is right, me or him, and why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
You are right 'cos I got 1GB over here and I got problems running iphoto mail netnewswire itunes quicktime at the same time. last i remembered the imac g5 in the apple store had no problems doing all these and more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
That's strange... I have 1.5Gb in my 20" and it runs great... In fact my Apple Motion performance more than doubled when I added the extra gig.

I do have a rev. B iMac so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Reaction score
I have the same machine here with 1 1/2 gig of ram. At 512 you could see jerkieness when trying to run multiple programs, adding the extra gig of ram fixed all that, and DID NOT slow the machine down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The only thing that might be slowed down it the initial startup because when you boot the computer it does a quick test on the memory, more memory longer testing, nothing really huge but if you are clocking your startup time it might be a little longer

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
So far so good!thanks guys,...........Hey James, I thought you died of old age or something ;) Howdy!

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
The only thing that might be slowed down it the initial startup because when you boot the computer it does a quick test on the memory, more memory longer testing, nothing really huge but if you are clocking your startup time it might be a little longer
Start up is pretty quick so a little longer is no bigger, especially comparec to the Power Pc G3 I'm on right now btw anyone in the market for this thing ;)

B

Badger

OS X is RAM intensive. If you don't have as much RAM as it wants it will use virtual memory. Since VM is on the hard disk it is (much) slower than RAM. By loading up on RAM you've insured that X and the apps will avoid using VM and run as efficiently as possible.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
When I use Photoshop it slows a bit So this will be much faster correct? I know not blinding speed faster but faster, that I should notice, I would hope

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.