Hardware Test and Memory Test

Reaction score
There has been some discussion recently about running hardware tests off the original discs that came with our computers.

I have a PowerBook G4 which is now running OS 10.5.8. Can I use the original installation discs to run hardware and memory tests, even though OS 10.5.8 is not the original OS? Are the tests on the second of the two original discs (I would assume so)? Do I have to boot up from the discs to run the tests?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks.

Done.

FYI:

--It was the Number 2 disc. And you do have to start up from the disc.

--The Read Me for Apple Hardware Test (AHT), which is on the disc, was, in this case, better than the link you gave. Had to hold down the Option key, not the D key.

--At the very end, the screen started blinking in all kinds of colors and patterns, so don't freak out if that happens to any of you.

-- My ten year old PBG4 passed hardware and memory tests. I'm impressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yours is a PPC and they use a different startup method. louishen made a slight slip is all.

OP
M
Reaction score
Why is everyone so quick to take offense?

I said, "Thanks." Didja notice?

My response was merely an attempt to share what I had learned, in case it might be of help to others.

His info was just fine and I'm grateful to have had any response at all. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.