Very odd problem with password

Reaction score
I bought a used Macbook Pro A1150 with OS X installed. The seller had already setup an admin account, which worked fine.

After 14 days approx. I buy me a Snow Leopard disc, because I want to fiddle with Xcode, and then the problems begin.

I install Snow Leopard, and after running a software update and restart my Mac suddenly won't accept my password. I am 100% sure that it is the correct password because it’s the same I always use, and the same I have been using to log in all day...

I then try to create a new password using the installation DVD. It seems to work and lets me setup a new password and a new hint. When I subsequently start up, the password hint has changed, but the new password does not work.

After a google search, I try various get-you-password-back tricks, but non of them works.

So I decide to format and start all over with a fresh installation with the snow leopard DVD. (This is all legit software by the way, OS X came with the computer, and I bought Snow Leopard in a shop myself).

Everything works fine for a couple of days. I use my phone number as password so I won’t forget it. And I am able to access the computer with no problems. I make a software update, and install the following programs in this order:

MS Office 2008
uTorrent
VLC Player
Dropbox

But then I try to install Xcode again, and then it prompts for my password, and alas, my password does not work again!!!!!

I really don’t understand this. It worked perfectly well, and the hint for my password is still "it’s your phone number dummy", and there is really no chance, that I would forget that.

I have since then tried all my usual passwords just in case, and I even got the old passwords from the seller, if the machine for some reason should have remembered them...

People have also suggested that the keyboard might be fubar, but there are no problems with the keys when I write in a normal Document.

So what to do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

So I decide to format and start all over with a fresh installation with the snow leopard DVD. (This is all legit software by the way, OS X came with the computer, and I bought Snow Leopard in a shop myself).

Did you erase the hard drive first and do a clean install of Snow Leopard? The reason I'm asking this is that when reinstalling Snow Leopard over the top of itself, it will not remove applications, documents, plist files, user settings, etc. It only overwrites system files and kernel extensions.

I'm thinking that the left over remains from your first install of Xcode are still hanging around and that's why it doesn't like your password. Try this: Do a Spotlight search for anything Xcode and remove it. If that doesn't work navigate to:

MacIntosh HD/your user name/library/preferences and delete anything that has to do with Xcode.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Try looking for anything Xcode and deleting it. I still think there is something hanging around that's causing it to error out your password.

The only other thing you might try is to create a "Root" account and password and install Xcode from the "Root" account. Take a look at this Apple KB article on how to create a "Root" account.

Something else just came to mind.... the version of Xcode you're trying to install, is it compatible with Snow Leopard?

OP
B
Reaction score
I think so... But the problem is when I try to install Xcode. As always it prompts for admin password and it doesn't work. And it doesn't work anywhere else...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.