My imac randomly shuts down (intel i3)

Reaction score
After a little research, I've noticed this is a fairly common problem.

Here's where my situation is slightly different. I'm never around my imac when it randomly shuts down. I'm always asleep. It's happened a couple times this week. I was up till 3 in the morning last night and woke up at 9 to see my computer had shut down. I had Firefox open the second time and it asked if I wanted to restore my tabs when I turned it on again (so I know it didn't just go to sleep). Any suggestions? I just reset the "system management control (SMC)." Hopefully that will work, but........

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

There could be several reasons the machine shut down. Power glitches, memory error, etc. Anyone who owns an iMac should be using it attached to an UPS. (Uninterruptible Power Supply) That will keep steady clean power to the machine and prevent power glitches. I purchased one for my iMac for less than $100 at Best Buy and it has already paid for itself in the protection it has given here in Texas during our thunderstorm season.

Reaction score
Dust!!!

Have you tried cleaning the input vent. I had the same problem with a iMac G5 that was going to sleep randomly. The problem was dust that was blocking the air flow, making the CPU way too hot. I cleaned the vent and everything is going well since.

Reaction score
Have you tried cleaning the input vent. I had the same problem with a iMac G5 that was going to sleep randomly. The problem was dust that was blocking the air flow, making the CPU way too hot. I cleaned the vent and everything is going well since.

Thanks for this tip,i checked my vents and were really full of dust,will let you know if thats the case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.