Can't delete back up from time machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Hi there,
I'm having trouble deleting some old back ups on my time machine disk.
Basically, i did an archive and install and now have a new account. As such, even though I have changed the permissions of the backups to the new account, i still cannot delete them. I've tried everything, including sudo rm -rf <filepath>
NOTHING works. Can someone please help?
If sudo rm doesn't work i can't think of anything else to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi there,
I'm having trouble deleting some old back ups on my time machine disk.
Basically, i did an archive and install and now have a new account. As such, even though I have changed the permissions of the backups to the new account, i still cannot delete them. I've tried everything, including sudo rm -rf <filepath>
NOTHING works. Can someone please help?
If sudo rm doesn't work i can't think of anything else to do.

You can format the drive from Airport Utility.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure, but i don't want to wipe the drive, i only want to delete some of the files

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What i don't understand is why using the super user doesn't work. That should trump everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure, but i don't want to wipe the drive, i only want to delete some of the files

In the Finder's sidebar, click on Time Capsule, double-click on Time Capsule Disk (or however you have it named), double-click the sparsebundle to mount it. Switch to the mounted Time Machine Backups image, browse to whatever it is you want to delete.

Using sudo probably isn't working because this isn't a locally-connected drive. You are accessing a network volume managed by another computer (the Time Capsule itself), much like how you'd access, say, a Windows PC from a Mac.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't use time capsule. I've tried browsing to the file in the finder and doing it that way. I've tried from within Time Machine itself, and it goes through the motions of deleting the file, but it remains afterwards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't use time capsule. I've tried browsing to the file in the finder and doing it that way. I've tried from within Time Machine itself, and it goes through the motions of deleting the file, but it remains afterwards.

Ah hmmm…. *roots through Google search*… AHA! Have you tried deleting it from the Actions menu? Enter Time Machine, browse to the file you want to kill, click on the gear icon, select "Delete all backups of…".

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@lifeisabeach in a different thread about G5 audio you said you learned something new from me. Now it is my turn to say that to you. I either did not know, or had forgotten, that little trick.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, after rooting around myself, yes, that works. I had tried something similar and it didn't work. For posterity, you need to open time machine, and navigate to the backup you wish to delete, and click on the computer name. In my case Simeon's MBP, from the gear menu click delete backup. You can only do one at a time, so takes some time.

Thanks for the help guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.