USB webcam malfunction

Reaction score
Two days ago I accepted an OSX software update to 10.6.8 and since then my Agent 5 USB webcam, functioning perfectly on two favourite websites the day before, stopped functioning and I could only use the default built-in iCam. On a 24"iMac this is much too high up for my comfort. I noted that the webcam monitor was still receiving from Agent 5 as well as iCam. On Skype the Agent 5 USB works. Is this a problem that can be resolved? It is experienced in Safari, Firefox and also Op:Grimmace:era.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Two days ago I accepted an OSX software update to 10.6.8 and since then my Agent 5 USB webcam, functioning perfectly on two favourite websites the day before, stopped functioning and I could only use the default built-in iCam. On a 24"iMac this is much too high up for my comfort. I noted that the webcam monitor was still receiving from Agent 5 as well as iCam. On Skype the Agent 5 USB works. Is this a problem that can be resolved? It is experienced in Safari, Firefox and also Op:Grimmace:era.

Do those websites not have an option to choose what camera to use? There had to be a point in the past where you made the choice.

OP
N
Reaction score
yes. But now instead of a choice box there is just a blue and white question mark.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes. But now instead of a choice box there is just a blue and white question mark.

Hmmm. Try deleting cookies and the browser cache. If you are using Flash, delete the Flash cookies and cache also. Purity can do all this for you.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks very much. I have downloaded Purity and it is running. Fingers crossed. Flash was recently updated so that may be the culprit.

OP
N
Reaction score
Not sure how to delete Flash cookies and cache. Does that need a further app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure how to delete Flash cookies and cache. Does that need a further app?

Nope. It's right there in Purity. Although Flash Player does have a Preference Pane to do it also, in System Preferences.

OP
N
Reaction score
Gone through the Purity routine. Problem still there. Blue and white questionmark instead of choice of webcam and the questionmark takes me into an Adobe Flash information page that does not provide any answers to the problem as far a I can see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gone through the Purity routine. Problem still there. Blue and white questionmark instead of choice of webcam and the questionmark takes me into an Adobe Flash information page that does not provide any answers to the problem as far a I can see.

Whatever the problem is, it almost certainly is an incompatibility with Flash and 10.6.8. Try Chrome browser. From what I understand, it has Flash embedded, so may not be susceptible to this problem you are having. If this doesn't work out, try uninstalling Flash, then reinstall it (perhaps the last known working version if you updated that also recently). If that doesn't work, try downloading and running the 10.6.8 Update Combo. Sometimes that can help iron out bugs from the regular Software Update process.

OP
N
Reaction score
Nothing has worked - indeed in Chrome the webcam does not work at all. Currently on OSX update combo. Fingers crossed! Thanks for sticking with me!

OP
N
Reaction score
OSX Combo downloaded but problem remains! It must be the Adobe Flash update. The small choice window still shows blue and white question mark instead of choice box of default or usb cam. How do I get back to an earlier Flash version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX Combo downloaded but problem remains! It must be the Adobe Flash update. The small choice window still shows blue and white question mark instead of choice box of default or usb cam. How do I get back to an earlier Flash version?

Good question. I just used the preference pane item for Flash to check for an update. You'd think it could self-update like any other app, but nooooo. It takes me to a web page that then checks it for me. Even then, it doesn't outright tell me that I'm outdated, though I am. Bah. So how to get an older version… hmmmm…

Well what version do you have? The current one is 10.3.181.34. If you have older than that, go ahead and update to that.
Adobe - Flash Player

If you do have that, then uninstall what you have, then reboot.
Troubleshoot Flash Player | Mac OS,
The installer for Flash should have come with an uninstaller also.

You can get an older version from here:
Archived Flash Player versions
Be sure you have rebooted before installing.

OP
N
Reaction score
The Flash version installed is 10.3.181.34. This is causing the continuing trouble. My Agent 5 USB cam works well on iChat, MSN, Yahoo and Skype. But not on the chat website I use. Guess I may have to cough up cash and use telephone advice. I tried to download an archived version from a few months ago but I guess I became lost in the instructions and could not effect the download. I am most grateful for all the help and advice. An annoying bug!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.