Does a restored TC back up give you access to previous save history?

Reaction score
My time capsule power died, so I bought a new one and backed up on it.

I am a music producer and I have lost a file really important to a song.

Now I realise I need to go back to my old TC to get the file.

My question is, if I have started backing up on a new time capsule, will it be possible to connect to the old time capsule and go back to an old save state to find this file? Or will it only allow me to access the last save? I am not sure if the incremental save states are recorded on the time capsule, or on the Mac.

Or will it be impossible for me to use the old time capsule to see all the incremental saves over time?

Please let me know!

WR

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??? You're telling us the old TC is dead and then asking if you can connect to it. You need to tell us more than this to get you pointed in the right direction. Exactly what is dead on the old TC? It just doesn't power on, the hard drive died, the network card in it died...?

OP
W
Reaction score
??? You're telling us the old TC is dead and then asking if you can connect to it. You need to tell us more than this to get you pointed in the right direction. Exactly what is dead on the old TC? It just doesn't power on, the hard drive died, the network card in it died...?

Sorry...

The power is dead. All data is there.

I know if I fix it I can just go back to an old state and get the file.

But I have since sync'd my computer to a new time capsule, so I'm not sure if I can still hook up the old one and have access to all the incremental states, or if I can only access the "top layer" of last save.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would just pull the drive out of it, get an enclosure to put it in and extract whatever data you'ld like.

If the drive is still good, then you've got access to everything that was in the backup through Finder.

OP
W
Reaction score
I would just pull the drive out of it, get an enclosure to put it in and extract whatever data you'ld like.

If the drive is still good, then you've got access to everything that was in the backup through Finder.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.