• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New York artist investigated over Apple Store spyware project

Reaction score
New York artist investigated over Apple Store spyware project

A Brooklyn-based artist is being investigated by Apple and the Secret Service after installing spy camera software on New York Apple Retail Store computers that took pictures of customers and sent them to a remote server.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I wondered when this "artist" was going to get in trouble. Sounds like not long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I love how the idiot justified his actions by claiming that the security guard said it was OK to take photos. Doesn't mean the security guard said it was OK to install software on the store demo computers, also doesn't mean the guard gave permission to upload those photos through the stores internet connection to another location. Heck, I'd think one would have to talk to a manager to even get permission to shoot photos with a camera in a store, not a security guard.

“My understanding is that legally, these people are in a private space that is open to the public and therefore can be photographed without consent. I asked the Apple store security if it was ok to take pictures, but did not specify the means of taking photos. They said it was good, and encouraged me to take photos."

Encouraging to take photos does not include - last time I checked - installing software without the stores knowledge or consent to basically spy on their shoppers.

Also, I think that photographer was reading a bit much into the license for photographing people without their knowledge.

I hope he gets to spend some serious time in prison for illegal activities.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Probably get a fine. Prison seems a little harsh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Always the newest iPad
Wow a bit strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Probably get a fine. Prison seems a little harsh.

I don't know - at least some jail time - he illegally installed software on systems within a business to capture images of people without their knowledge. They were not his computers to install the software on and he did not request the proper permission, nor were the people whose photos were taken given proper notification that such an action was occurring. When I go to a public place where video or images are captured that may be used in a an exhibit, for sale, etc. the group taking the images request a signed release especially if it's individuals pictures - this photographer didn't do that.

Regardless of whether the people are in public, if someone is taking pictures of them, they can physically see them doing it - and since there was no notification on the computers that their images were being captured and where they could go to request their likenesses to not be used, he's probably violating some privacy laws.

I'm not saying the project wouldn't have been interesting - but the photographer should have followed the law, requesting permission from the store manager to install software on systems that he didn't own or have rights to install software on, and getting signed releases from the patrons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don't know - at least some jail time - he illegally installed software on systems within a business to capture images of people without their knowledge. They were not his computers to install the software on and he did not request the proper permission, nor were the people whose photos were taken given proper notification that such an action was occurring. When I go to a public place where video or images are captured that may be used in a an exhibit, for sale, etc. the group taking the images request a signed release especially if it's individuals pictures - this photographer didn't do that.

Just fine him and put him on probation. We don't need to be wasting taxpayer dollars and prison system resources/space to house someone for something like this.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I thought it was an interesting idea. I wonder how he managed to install the software without the root password?

In the UK, at least, those computers are locked down to the extreme. You cant even open the Finder without a rep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.