Shut down or standby?

Reaction score
Is it best to shut down an iMac when leaving it overnight or all day, or leave it on standby?
I always shut down my various PCs and then have to wait while they reboot but heard somewhere that it's not necessary to do this with a mac.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Is it best to shut down an iMac when leaving it overnight or all day, or leave it on standby?
I always shut down my various PCs and then have to wait while they reboot but heard somewhere that it's not necessary to do this with a mac.
Thanks

Opinions run wildly on this, and the environment the computer is in can be a factor, but shutting down any PC overnight can be bad for them. You are stressing the components more by frequently heating up components after they have had a lot of time to cool down. This can weaken solder connections in particular.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Standby for me through the years and a shut down on the PC once a week and about once a month on the Mac or if the software upgrade requires it on both .

Reaction score
This whole issue has been debated in so many places on this forum and some of the non-Mac computer forums I frequent. What ever you prefer, run with it. I have seen nothing first hand that indicates leaving the computer on in sleep mode (whether it be a Mac or a PC) or just shutting it down everyday, makes a difference when it comes to wear and tear. My wife runs her Sony Vaio laptop non-stop everyday and never has any issues. I shut down my MBP every night and haven't hand any issues. I also never had any problems with shutting down the five other Mac computers I owned and the two PCs I had (Acer Inspire and Dell Inspiron). What ever floats your boat.

May God Bless!

Ed:)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As @ronin said, do whatever pleases you..I've always just let the system go into sleep/standby when not in use. That way I can immediately wake it up to do something if need be, not that the 25 seconds it takes to boot is a big chore..

Most modern computers/OS' do a pretty good job of conserving power when in this sleep/standby states, but it's still consuming some power..so if that's a concern, then by all means turn it off..

Now, as far as "wear and tear" goes, since the system is essentially idle consuming a little bit of power to maintain "state", that should hardly be a concern and there are enough people with machines that are using in this manner for years without any problems..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.