• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVCHD, .MTS and Log and Transfer

Reaction score
I have read a lot about these tonight and am looking for clarification. I have a new iMac and a 6 mos. old Canon Vixia. I just installed FCE 4. (I did not want to be an early adopter for FCPX.) In Log and Transfer, I can see and play the files in preview but they will not transfer. When I look in the folder I see that they are .MTS. When I point Log and Capture directly there, I still can't transfer and get the warning about structure and such. I believe I have my settings correct.

I've read conflicting things all night. I have two questions:

1. Can I transfer .MTS files into FCE 4?

2. Is there a FREE workaround that is reasonable and reliable? I feel very disheartened that I have shelled out for all of this new stuff and what seems like an incredibly simple task has become a nightmare. Thank you in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
1. Import into iMovie...New Event...then export XML into FCE...it will be trans-coded into AIC for you at that point.

2. Or...download Mpeg Streamclip ( free )....convert your files to AIC ( Apple Intermediate Codec ) import into FCE

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Codda

Thank you for the reply. I did a brief trial with iMovie and it worked. I especially liked that I could clean up my clips in iMovie and reduce the volume of raw material I would save. I REALLY liked how iMovie tranferred the project into FCE as one clip. I can take different events and save them as one clip - "Christmas 2011" "Julia Learns To Ride A Bike" etc.

I have two more questions if you don't mind:

1. Do you know of an advantage/disadvantage to using Streamclip vs iMovie?

2. With the iMovie process I've used, will my video still be the same or very close to the same quality in terms of HD? I saw that iMovie gave me choices to save the project in different sizes and I picked the highest - 720. 1080 was not an option so I assume it would only let me save it in the highest quality possible or less.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the reply. I did a brief trial with iMovie and it worked. I especially liked that I could clean up my clips in iMovie and reduce the volume of raw material I would save. I REALLY liked how iMovie tranferred the project into FCE as one clip. I can take different events and save them as one clip - "Christmas 2011" "Julia Learns To Ride A Bike" etc.

I have two more questions if you don't mind:

1. Do you know of an advantage/disadvantage to using Streamclip vs iMovie?

2. With the iMovie process I've used, will my video still be the same or very close to the same quality in terms of HD? I saw that iMovie gave me choices to save the project in different sizes and I picked the highest - 720. 1080 was not an option so I assume it would only let me save it in the highest quality
possible or less. (quote)

I don't use FCE but I would use the method that works best for your workflow...You shouldn't have any quality loss if you render your projects in the highest quality settings...iMovie might be best for you...try Streamclip for comparison when you get a chance...
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about the messed up reply above...sent from an iPad...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You should be able to do a log and transfer with FCE4, have you fully updated it (after install, go to apple->software update, I think the last update made the version number be 4.0.1 if you go to the FCE->about)? What exactly are you doing to initiate the transfer? You can use iMovie as a work around, to me it's better to stay in one app if at all possible. You will not be able to import mts files directly, they have to remain in the AVCHD structure to be properly interpreted and imported.

One of the biggest advantages of importing directly is that if you import the mts files individually, if you have a long recording, you'll have to piece them together yourself which can be a little ugly. If you import directly (using FCE or imovie) it will be properly pieced without you having to mess with multiple separate files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.