Ram Woes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
I have an imac G3- 400mhz, 80 GB HD, mac os x 10.1.2 (waiting on tiger Cd version)

today i bought a 512 stick of SD RAm for this computer. i put it in and it doesnt work. the computer turns on but just when it usually makes the traditional apple startup sound it just stops no screen no nothing and thats it take taht stick out it works fine
at eth moment ive got a 256 and a 64 mb in there i want to replace the 64mb with the 512. the ram is Pc 133 but it is annoying me as on the specs sheet for my computer it says it supports 512's and its not working

ANy ideas

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
You have the correct memory, and your iMac should take the 512 stick.

Two things I would check:

(1) Make sure the new memory is seated properly. Sometimes it seems as though it's mounted correctly but it's not.

(2) You say you want to replace the 64MB stick with the 512. You also said the computer boots fine without the new stick. What if you took out both the old 64 and the old 256 and tried to boot the computer with only the new 512? If it doesn't work, then you've isolated the problem to a bad memory stick.

Good luck!

B

Badger

This is almost certainly bad or out-of-specification RAM. OS X has been known to reject RAM that is within specs and works normally under OS 9. Macintouch has collected reader reports going back several years at: http://www.macintouch.com/badram01.html. Exchange or return the 512.

C

CHR15B

Out of curisoty, how does OSX run with your setup?

400Mhz, 80GB and the 32MB of RAM?

OP
Pattay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
yea it runs great actually im quite happy since i got this computer for free. It is a noticeabl improvement with the faster HD and the ram. i got a new 512 stick and it worked now i have 768 and is great

good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.