New logic board = faulty DVI port???

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post so sorry if I don't really follow protocol.

I bought this laptop mid-2007 (Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo), and replaced the logic board (due to kernel panic) to the 2008 model's logic board (2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 512MB nVidia instead of the 256 MB)

The computer runs flawlessy...except for the fact that since I got it back, I plugged in the external monitor one time (via Apple's DVI (not Mini) to VGA converter) and ever since then the computer believes that it is always plugged into a display; it will do mirror displays and even let me access an imaginary second screen where I can make my mouse disappear for a while.

Not a big problem for expose since I've placed the second imaginary screen where I don't use any expose:
t6se48.jpg

I've formatted the hard drive, re-installed Snow Leopard

I've tried resetting PRAM, SMC, violently unplugging/replugging an actual DVI cable as well as the DVI to VGA adapter (while connected to a display)

I cannot seem to make the "Arrangement" tab disappear in Display options.

Please help if any one of you has experienced something remotely similar...

Thank you very much

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
See that white bar at the top of one of them? Drag it to the other one and see what happens.

Have you ever installed iDisplay? Use their uninstall script - link.

Try using the Detect displays button - maybe do it a couple of times - see that will help it recognize nothing is attached.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.