Macbook Pro install disks?

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro unibody was purchased in the middle of 2010. I want to sell this now BUT it appears I don't have the disks that came with it.....I understand they came with two disks?

If I don't have these will it be tough to sell? And secondly how do I wipe the drive and go back to factory settings before selling?

Thanks

I also own an iMac if that matters. The disks I do have are Mac OS X Snow Leopard, iLife, iWorks and looks like install disks for my older iMac. :(

Any thoughts what I should do?

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You need the install discs to erase the hard drive. The iMac discs will not work, if you have tried them. Give Apple a ring and quote your machine serial number and see if they can sell you another set. Personally would not purchase a late model machine without the original discs for accessing Apple Hardware Test etc.

OP
T
Reaction score
You need the install discs to erase the hard drive. The iMac discs will not work, if you have tried them. Give Apple a ring and quote your machine serial number and see if they can sell you another set. Personally would not purchase a late model machine without the original discs for accessing Apple Hardware Test etc.

Snow Leopard won't work? Okay thanks for your thoughts. I will have to contact Apple. ****! I am so careful in keeping disks/manuals etc :( and I have lots of electronics. Oh well.

Thanks very much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think there is some misunderstanding. If you have the boxed copy of Snow Leopard in addition to your older iMac disks, it will work just fine to erase the MBP. And, you can include the boxed copy set with the MBP when you sell it.

OP
T
Reaction score
I wish I could post a picture? But the disc says "Mac OS X Snow Leopard", install DVD

I put the disc in the MB and held the "C" button to boot up to the disc but that never worked.

Hmmms thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well be aware that laptops and iMacs have very high failure rates in optical drives and that may be the problem. read it as being discs from the iMac sorry.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hmmm interesting.....how do I test? Put an audio cd in the drive I guess or dvd and see what happens.

DVDs read and play fine. I think maybe the Snow Leopard disk I have is an upgrade disc perhaps and thus why MB isn't reading it. I kept getting an error to power off my MB then power on.

Anyways I did some other checks and MB is fine. I hardly use it thus why I want to sell.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You mentioned the Snow Leopard disk had iLife and iWork. That has to be the full boxed copy because no other version of Snow Leopard comes with iWork. It should by all indication be able to boot the MBP and wipe it clean.

Something is not computing here... Anyway, instead of wasting any more time over this, call Apple customer support and ask them to send you the original install set for your model MBP. Make sure you have the model and serial number on hand when you call. There will be a nominal charge for the replacement disks.

OP
T
Reaction score
I figured out the issue....for some reason the Snow Leopard disk I had was scratched up. I went to LondonDrugs and picked up a copy. Everything is fine and dandy now. System is clean and OS installed. Apple care could have sent me out the two DVDs/CD for about $60 but he said the Leopard disk does the same things and is $29

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back. And yes, the Snow Leopard $29 disk is all you really need.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yep I talke with apple care and he said they could send two discs for $60 but he told me just get the $29 Snow Leopard. My old Snow Leopard was all scratched for some reason and thus wasn't reading on the drive.

Now MB Pro is already for someone to buy it lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.