"Windows 7 is required" msg when installing Bootcamp drivers in XP??? HELP PLS!

Reaction score
After lurking for a day or so I feel like an official Mac convert now! I'm actually posting a question. Not sure if I should feel this excited considering I've been a Mac owner for a week and I'm already combing forums for help :\ Anyway!! I so love this thing (2011 13" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz, 4GB, Snow Leopard)! Now, to my question:

I combed (as I admitted above) until I figured out that the reason I couldn't get a wireless connection using XP was because my "Mac guru" friend neglected to install the drivers after installing XP. So I took upon myself to do it. Popped the CD in while using XP and got the msg "Windows 7 is required..." Does that sound/seem right? Bootcamp drivers only work with Windows 7? Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks on this!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Windows XP is not supported on your 2011 MBP. If you wish to install Windows, you can only install Windows 7. There are no drivers available for Windows XP.

OP
I
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Windows XP is not supported on your 2011 MBP. If you wish to install Windows, you can only install Windows 7. There are no drivers available for Windows XP.

Thank you, and thank you for responding! And wow, really? I hope it's not just that my MBP specs suck lol How is it that it allowed me to install it at all? I mean, I installed the entire Adobe Design Suite on XP and everything :-/ It's working fine. That's odd but definitely explains the error smh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As you found out, you can install it in spite of the warning but no driver support. Windows 7 is years ahead of XP and that's what you should really be using. Microsoft is dropping application support for XP little by little. The newest version of IE for example can not be installed in anything below Vista.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.