No discs

zeb

Reaction score
Is there anything you can do if you don't have your original mac discs? I have a macbook pro that I bought from somebody and they forgot to give me the discs and I cant get a hold of them...I need the discs.
I have full applecare, would that help with anything?
I appreciate any help. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try giving Apple a ring to see if you can purchase a replacement set of discs. Have the machine specs including the serial number ready when you ring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Try giving Apple a ring to see if you can purchase a replacement set of discs. Have the machine specs including the serial number ready when you ring.

There are 2 answers to your question, first is as harryb2448 call apple to get the replacement disks, one for o/s the other for applications. These will be dedicated to your computer only. cost = $16 each in US.

the other answer is get snow leopard this will only let you install o/s part, then buy life 11, the latter may not be necessary if you just want to install the o/s.
Better still buy the mac box set may cost you over $100 US, this will have snow leopard, ilife 11 and iwork. Break down s/l is $ 32 or more and Ilife 11 also over $30.
Take your pick. if you just need the restore disks, then it is not flexible as buying the snow leopard, where you can use on future macs.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
Thanks ycl!
If I just get the restore discs will that have everything I need? (os, apps, etc) I am a new mac user, so this is all new to me.
Also, if I got to a mac store will they give them to me there for the $16 you were talking about or do I need to call it in? Thanks again

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes. The restore discs will have everything that originally came on the hard drive. It will have the OS, whatever version of iLife shipped with the machine as well as anything else I might have forgotten about.

I doubt if the local Apple store will have the correct disc on hand since they are specific to each model series. Can't hurt to give it a try though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if you wish to access Apple Hardware Test, a great trouble shooting utility, you need the original install discs. Buying Snow Leopard does not include this. And when it comes time to sell the MBP, those original discs add to the value.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
Just bought the discs over the phone, $16 each like you said. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.