Considering a Macbook Pro

Reaction score
When Christmas time rolls around, I will have the money to get a MacBook Pro. I am just fed up with the never ending amount of problems with Windows PCs. I've been doing a lot of research on the MBP and I'm blown away by all of the good things I've heard about it. I was originally going to get a Toshiba or HP Pavilion laptop but after reading their reviews, I much rather pay more and get a better quality.

I'll be using the Macbook Pro to do digital art and photo editing in Adobe Photoshop CS2 as well as some video editing in Sony Vegas. I'm considering getting the 13" since it's right in my budget. I would like to hear from some MacBook users on how they like their MacBook Pro, pros and cons, etc. I really want to learn more about this laptop before I splurge on it.

Thank You

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you are on a budget, look at the Apple refurb store (as new macs, still have full warranty)

Any money you save can be spent on a cross grade to Photoshop CS5 for Mac, I am pretty sure that CS2 was designed for the older PowerPC macs and will not run on the latest Apple hardware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I really like my 13 inch MBP. It is rock solid thus far and I have no complaints. Sounds like with the kind of work you are going to do it might be best done on a larger screen. So you may have to buy a monitor which is expensive. At least for high quality monitor. You may want to spend the money upfront and buy the 15" or even the 17".

Regards,

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I was a windows user for many years and was kind of sick of hearing "fanboys" talk about how they loved their macs. My Dell was beaten down and very slow so I was in the market for a new laptop, last month. I loved the look and quality of materials of the macbook pro, but was nervous about switching. I looked around for a windows laptop that had the same look and materials as a mac and couldn't find anything, some were close, but there were areas where they were lacking. I got the 13 inch macbook pro and I love it. It is lightning fast and everything seems to work they way I wanted my Dell to work. I can honesty say that the only con is that I am going to want the new one when it comes out next year.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
CS2 for sure will not run on a Mac that is running 10.7 Lion, and a new Mac not purchased until later this year will have Lion on it. Don't think it even works in 10.6.

And since you've mentioned those couple of apps, in case you are not aware, none of your Windows applications are going to work in OS X

Reaction score
I made the switch about 2 years ago and I haven't looked back... I love my 13" MBP... If I was to do it again, I think I would have went to the 15".. but I certainly like the 13"

The only thing with Mac that I have noticed is at my college some of my classes have associated software that ONLY runs on a PC... but I have an older PC laptop sitting around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I think you'll be delighted with your switch, but as others have said, save room in your budget to buy CS5. Your old windows version will not work on your new Mac. You mig be able to get a deal somewhere, especially if you say you're switching, but CS5 will take a chunk of change from your stash, although there are alternatives.

Reaction score
I've had my MBP 13" for almost a year now, and I absolutely love it. I rarely have problems, and it's always with specific applications instead of with the OS as a whole (something that I've yet to say about any Windows computer I've come in contact with). Everything is really easy to do, and despite liking most of the defaults I've been able to customize the one thing that's been really important: app launching. I wholeheartedly recommend Alfred (powerpack) on any new Mac.

Other than that, I wonder if you might be better suited by an Air. I'm primarily a writer so the Air seems like a match made in heaven, but I've recently begun editing photos with Aperture and I think I've discovered something that I really love. I know you say that you'll be using PhotoShop, so I'd dig through the web and find some reviews saying whether or not the Air is viable for some graphics work.

If, for whatever reason, you decide that you want the Pro, you won't be let down. It's a beautiful machine, and even a year later I can't help but just look at it sometimes.

Reaction score
Go ahead and get the 13 inch, you'll be fine; if you can afford to get a 15 inch with a separate graphics card, get that as you'll see more improvement. If not, the 13 inch will be great for what you want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 15 inch, intel core i5, 8gb ram, 500gb seagate momentus xt hybrid hdd
I originally used a HP Pavilion from late 2009, but after my confirmation early 2011 i decided to get a Macbook pro. I didn't buy the newest, but the media 2010 15" model of the macbook pro. I liked it so much, and I still do, and that's why I'll upgrade the HDD and RAM from 320gb and 4gb ram to 500gb moments xt hybrid and 8gb ram. My MBP isn't slow, but I wan't it to be faster.

Buy the Photoshop CS5 so you can use it on a macbook pro - recommended!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Also, Sony Vegas is a Windows Only app. Bootcamp works well for it. However you will be back in the Windows world if you want to continue with Vegas. At this point, you may be better off going with Final Cut X if you are truly ditching Windows. Also, 13" and photo/video work will be rough. Get the 15" or get a monitor.

From Sony's Creative Software Vegas Pro Release Notes:
The following lists the minimum system requirements for using Sony Creative Software Inc. Vegas Pro software:
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP 32-bit SP3, Windows Vista® 32-bit or 64-bit SP2, or Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit

Reaction score
I must, in all honesty, say I do like the MBP series of laptops, but they do tend to be a bit pricey. The quality overall is very good, but if you do some research, you can get a equally speced Sony Vaio at least $200.00 cheaper. I guess after owning six different Macs within the last two years (one having issues with dead pixels and Apple not willing to repair same within the warranty period), my kool-aid drinking days with Apple has been put in a more realistic perspective . I would never talk anyone out of a purchase, but if your mind is set on a MBP, then by all means get one. My current Mac is a 15" 2011 MBP. A good laptop, but I spent way too much money for it. I could have purchased a equally speced PC for hundreds less. Just do the research before you jump in. That is all I'm asking sir.

May God Bless.

Ed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.