Money managment software

Reaction score
Just got a new IMac last weekend. I'm liking it so far but need some advice on some software.

In the past I have used Quicken on my PC. I do as much of my finances online as I can and liked how easy it was to keep track of my bank accounts.

I see Quicken has a Mac version but it sounds like it's pretty basic. Anyone have any experiance with it? Anything else that someone might recommend?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Personally, I use iBank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Hi and welcome.

As an MS Money user of many years, when I moved over to mac a couple of years back I had to keep my windows running to run MS Money as I could not find anything nearly as good in the mac world.

After a lot of reading reviews, trialling software and keeping tabs on postings here I eventually settled on iBank (incidentally my first App Store purchase) and have not looked back. It does all that I used MS Money for and although I wasn't sure about the look and feel (all those icons taking up valuable screen space) it grew on me very quickly and MS Money is now but a distant memory.

And those icons? I'm loving them now. They make visual searching so much quicker and I quite enjoyed searching and selecting appropriate ones for wach account,payee etc.

For details see iBank | Mac finance software, personal money management and small business application for OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I use the new version of Quicken for Mac. It's called Essentials. I actually prefer it over IBank.
For budgeting I use YNAB.

The combination of the two works well for me.

Regards,

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
I have Quicken Essentials...hate it. I went back to my laptop so that I could use Quicken there. If I ever get any spare time I'll try iBank.

Reaction score
Just switched and went through this. Spent a lot of time studying the problem, as I am a longtime Quicken user in Windows. Ended up being a no brainer for me: installed Parallels and run Windows 7 in Convergence mode so I can run Quicken. Works great, but of course added the cost of buying Windows. I had ordered 4 GB of RAM on my new iMac, but I think I'll be upgrading that to allow Windows and MacOS to run together a bit better, given my style of use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
FWIW Quicken Essentials is on sale right now for 50% off so it's only $24.99

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Don't get me started on this topic... This is a real weak spot for the Mac, and I posted an enormous rant about this in about 2007. What's funny is that everything I said then is still true now.

Quicken Essentials certainly looks nice, but it's a baby app in every sense of the word. Intuit didn't think that Mac owners would care about real financial software, probably thinking we're all trust-fund hipsters with no concept of investing, budgeting or using any currency aside from USD. So if you have to track an investment account, pay bills, have accounts in more than one currency, or need robust reporting, QE is not for you.

iBank is probably the best, but it's buggy, slow and has terrible budgeting and reporting. It's still a one-developer operation and he's pretty thinly spread between the iPad development, Mac development and iPhone development. It's hard to see how much longevity is in this app.

MoneyWell is another good one, but again it lacks investment tracking (the developer has been promising it since about 2008, but there is still no sign of it), bill pay and other things Quicken windows users have had since Clinton was president.

MoneyDance and MyMoney are both cross platform efforts written in Java. They're not bad, but look like mid-90's linux apps. So, like many other switchers, I run a virtual machine just to keep my finances in order, which is mildly ridiculous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Intuit didn't think that Mac owners would care about real financial software, probably thinking we're all trust-fund hipsters with no concept of investing, budgeting or using any currency aside from USD.

We're not? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Why doesn't Intuit just get off their butts and come out with a new version? Lots of us use/have used the Windoze version of Quicken and loved it. How hard is it to replicate that same software into a Mac environment?

I've seen figures that Mac are 11% of the PC market and growing. It's not like it's a boutique market, so why isn't somebody jumping into the breech to offer a good piece of comparable Mac software? Just blows my mind

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Some of the speculation on Quicken for Windows is that the current version is the last desktop version they will market. Future versions will be Cloud apps. If this is true, I will kiss Quicken goodbye on my windows machines, but it could be a reason for the lack of an updated Mac version - there would be no need if it becomes a true Cloud app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I don't want my financial stuff to be cloud based, but maybe it's just me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I see my response was sort of ambiguous. What I meant to say is that I will not use a cloud based program for my financial management on any platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Some of the speculation on Quicken for Windows is that the current version is the last desktop version they will market. Future versions will be Cloud apps. If this is true, I will kiss Quicken goodbye on my windows machines, but it could be a reason for the lack of an updated Mac version - there would be no need if it becomes a true Cloud app.

There are already books on Amazon about Quicken 2012, so maybe it's got a year or two left in it.

Amazon.com: Quicken 2012 The Official Guide (Quicken Press) (9780071776004): Bobbi Sandberg: Books

Reaction score
I had the same problem, just hated what was offered for the Macs, ended up buying Parallels and use it just for Quicken. Been happy with my setup ever since.

Reaction score
Nobody mentioned Money 4 so…
Jumsoft | Money

Hmm this looks really interesting. Being a switcher I am still searching for the "perfect" MS Money replacement. I have been using iFinance (Synium - iFinance) and it's descent and it was one of the only programs I found that does future budget graph forecasting. But it has this annoying feature that any recurring payment goes active in the register.

I just downloaded Jumsoft and like that it seems even more MS Money like (with all the OS X candy to it) but I had a question. I don't see anywhere where it does simple graph forecasting. Is this yet another personal finance program that does not have this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.