how to spot an intruder?

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am asking for assistance in a specific security question. I am a student and total noob to macs. I recently changed to Mac because of my job. The software is MacOS v10.6.7 and hardware is Imac 4.1.

I work from home and I communicate with my bureau via Ichat (we talk, share files and desktops) so Remote Management and Remote Login are always turned on. Lately I got a funny feeling as someone is snooping around in my computer. My questions are:

1) Is there a way I can detect an intruder such as my bureau when we are not chatting or someone else (an unknown) and,
2) How can I be sure no one has entered my computer in the past? Are there any log files and where can I find them or something else... idk what that could be.

I really don’t mind sharing my comp with my employee but I have no understanding for snooping around if I don’t know they are doing it and I cannot imagine the worst scenario someone else I don’t even know was the intruder.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

p.s. excuse me please if I posted in the wrong forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
open the Terminal (Utilities) and type who.

You'll see yourself (maybe more than once) and anyone else. If you suspect someone is using your username, show us the output of that command for analysis.

OP
M
Reaction score
open the Terminal (Utilities) and type who.

You'll see yourself (maybe more than once) and anyone else. If you suspect someone is using your username, show us the output of that command for analysis.

Could you please explain these a bit more, idk really what I should do.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can try who, w, and last.

who, and w will show who is currently logged into your system. Whereas last who has accessed your system.

Reaction score
Could you please explain these a bit more, idk really what I should do.

Click on the Finder and go to /Applications/Utilities and start Terminal.
Type who (or last), you will get a list. Copy and paste here and maybe someone can help you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.