iStat uncontrolled high CPU "Sys" usage rate???

Reaction score
I've notice that at times my macbook pro can get a bit sluggish.

I take a quick look at the iStat Pro Widget, (Ver. 4.92) and I see that the CPU is running at 80%+.

Then opening and looking at "Apps/Utilities/Activity Monitor" under System Processes, (selecting away from "my processes" in the drop down) I see that "kernal_task" is running at 266 (% CPU) and seems to be the culprit.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

And whether I can stop it, restrain it, or schedule it somehow?

Thanks in advance for any help.

dmz33

Macbook Pro
2.66Ghz Intel i7
4 GB, 1067 Mhz DDR3
OSX - 10.6.8

C

chas_m

If this happens regularly, some other process is *causing* the kernel task to run amok.

What maintenance, if any, have you performed on your Mac lately?

OP
D
Reaction score
Actually it doesn't happen often at all. But I do notice it now and then, (maybe once every month or two if I had to guess???)

This must be some sort of standard system maintenance or configuration update or something along that line?

And yeah, ironically, that's what I've been doing since I've posted. Looking for maintenance tools, (UsingMac.com - Mac Tricks and Tips, Wallpapers and Applications for Mac Users), and I've just downloaded iStat Menus.

Thanks for the help.

dmz33

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.